What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bombs Gone by John MacBean and Artur Hogben

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
"Bombs Gone"
Authors Wing Commander John A MacBean & Major Arthur S Hogben
ISBN 1-85260-060-8

"Bombs Gone is a unique investigation of British aerial bombing and the weapons used- from the First World War to the present day.The great diversity of air-dropped weapons ranges from the crude almost home-made devices such as the anti-zeppelin bombs used in the First World War to specialized weapons like the "tallboy" and "Grand Slam" earthquake bombs used in the final stages of the Second World War, and the nuclear devices produced in the 1950s."

I had never heard of this book until fellow bocn member BigDave called round with it at the weekend what i have read of it so far has been very interesting,there are also quite a lot of interesting illustrations and photographs in the book and i will be getting myself a copy
Anyone who wants a copy it can be found on amazon with used editions at very reasonable prices

P1050182.jpgP1050184.JPG

Just been flicking through “Bombs Gone”, in chapter 12 - The Also Rans, it mentions the W bomb by Midgeley, Macrae & Jefferis. It states that trials were carried out at Staines reservoir, in the Thames at Reading and Wallingsford, at Kempton Park and Porton. Does anyone know what the trials were at Porton? Or is this confusion with the other W bomb containing ricin?

Hallo,
I'm surprised to read, that a british, munitions interested person, does not know this nice book. My 1990 edition is one of my highly treasured books. But, there have been many discussions here on BOCN in the past, that referred to this book. It's one of the Best that I know of. On the inside of the dustcover the original price is printed : 16.99 pounds net
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Just been flicking through “Bombs Gone”, in chapter 12 - The Also Rans, it mentions the W bomb by Midgeley, Macrae & Jefferis. It states that trials were carried out at Staines reservoir, in the Thames at Reading and Wallingsford, at Kempton Park and Porton. Does anyone know what the trials were at Porton? Or is this confusion with the other W bomb containing ricin?

Earlier I referred to the dropping of JW Bombs at Porton. The 'W' bomb was also dropped at Porton. One of the W Bomb configurations was intended to be dropped into canals and the Air Ministry was keen to establish that W Bombs would not detonate if they struck the banks of the canal. The reason being that they did not want the RAF accused of indiscriminate bombing! The trial of this function took place on the hard target at Porton on 5th March 1940. Neither of the two bombs dropped from 350 feet detonated.