What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying and decorating my US practice bomb

WWIIBuff

Hello Gentlemen,

I picked up this practice bomb a few years ago, and now I want to paint it up like an original WWII bomb for display. I thought it was a WWII 100 lb practice bomb when I bought it, but after searching other threads on this forum I think that it is from the 1950's instead. It is 25 inches in diameter, and about 40 inches long.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a source for reproduction stencils for whatever the markings would have been for an original 100 lb bomb?

2) If no source for stencils, can anyone post a picture of a real 100 lb bomb that shows what should be stenciled on it, or point me to a source that would have the complete markings spelled out?

3) For the nose of the bomb, are reproduction fuses from original 100 lb bombs available somewhere, or does someone have a close-up picture of an original fuze that I can use as a guide to fabricate something?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

John

1782 (2).jpg1782 (1).jpg1782 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Here's one example:
IMG_1192.jpgIMG_1194.jpg

As for a fuze, it has a "firing pin" disc held in with a cotter pin. Most likely the same as the MK23 practice bombs, which are prevalent.

Last edited:
Thanks Slick, but I want to mark mine up like a real 100 lb bomb, not a practice bomb, so I am looking for the stencil verbiage from one of those.

Your practice body is much larger than a real 100 lb. bomb, and I think you mean 25 inches in circumference instead of diameter.

Last edited:
Hi Hazord. Yes, I realize the size difference, but at this point I am really just trying to create more of a novelty display, so that is ok. And yes you are correct, I mean circumference. The use of the word diameter is an old habit from my days of working in the aerospace industry and and ordering raw materials with a particular diameter. ;-)

U.S. color codes have changed over the years. Up to 1942, Army bombs and some Navy bombs were primarily school bus yellow with black lettering. In 1942, the color code for Army bombs changed to olive drab body with black lettering with one, two, or three yellow stripes around the ogive (nose) and tail end, to indicate the type of explosive filler inside, with the filler type in black lettering on one of the yellow bands.

The lettering usually says G.P. for general purpose (if it is that type), the weight , the model number of the bomb, Lot number, etc. as shown in the photo.

Attachments

• A2046UF042.jpg
    A2046UF042.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Boom son!

This train be stopping at all the stations, putt'n out all over the world today.

1.jpg2.jpg

Why?

Because that is what I do.

Notice the letter fonts and the style of the letters, bros.

Don't be painting that MK15 up like a AN-M30 like it was made yesterday.

Paint it like it was made in 1943, brah!

Thanks guys!!! That is what I needed. I appreciate all the information and pictures. And yes, I want it to look period, not modern, otherwise it will stand out like a sore thumb in my collecting room.