What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WWII 105mm 1943 Dated M67 HEAT Projectile

Hello Guys
It's been a while since I've been on the site
I see and old friend of mine has made and appearance on here
Let me set some things right
1. It's is a plaster filled inert round
2. I acquired the round as painted
3. I did re-letter the nomenclature using a product known as LETTRA-SET dry transfer lettering some 20 years ago
4. The casing is what came with the round and yes the tootsie roll was included in my original purchase 20+ years ago
She was a long sawed after piece and hated to see her go but I'm pairing down the collection since retiring
To the new owner enjoy
I guess I'll have to come here more often who knows maybe i'll see some old friends again

First time I have read this post, but am sure US Subs will agree with me, but having an non ordnance (not EOD or ordnance worker) type chip off a piece if possible HE and do a burn test, may not be a very good idea. Not sure but might also be against the site rules.

you can check the TM 9-1300-203, ARTILLERY AMMUNITION 1967 I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN A HELP THE TWO ROUNDS ARE VERY CLOSE

Interesting thread, busy summer and I missed it first time around.

I recall the term "tootsie roll" from back in the day, but it was more a gun-bunny term and wasn't used that much in the EOD community, at least where I was at.

Identification of the fill material was always an issue, especially during range ops. Projos were typically filled with either HE, plaster or ballistic wax. Given 25-50 years and no climate control and they all age the same and can be a real pain to tell apart. As DJ mentioned back in the day we would simply rub a finger on a clean spot, wipe the finger off and taste. Bitter meant a TNT base. John brings up the other half of the story, as an interesting sideline two years ago they asked me if I had ever been in contact with anything toxic, just before they removed 80% of my stomach for 30-40 growths. Go figure.

I've never been a fan of burn testing outside of a lab either. Once an explosive is exposed to flame all safety rules and normal expectations of behavior are gone. After 40 years of trying to prevent accidental detonations, exposing explosives to an open flame just doesn't seem like a good idea, for any purpose. Even the smallest quantity can surprise you with its output, close enough to see if it is energetic can be too close.

This is all easy to say when you are not stuck in the position of deciding whether to get rid of your new toy or not. There are however, a number of new technologies available that simplify the matter, the trick is finding who has them and is willing to assist you in their use. In my current position I am issued a First Defender Raman Spectroscopy device for identification of hazardous materials during performance of my work duties. While too pricey for personal use, these are common among hazmat teams, bomb squads, fire departments, etc. Using a minute sample (fraction of a gram) they typically use either laser or infrared to give a quick, accurate analysis of the sample and provide a rapid and accurate identification of hazardous materials. If individuals have these questions frequently for pieces in their collection it might be in their interest to talk to some folks in your area and find if you have someone locally that is willing to assist. It may prove easier than you would think.

IMG_2769b.jpg