What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pdr headstamp

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Could anybody identify this 18 pounder headstamp for me its dated 1914
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 1914.jpg
    1914.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 83
Hi Andy,

This was Made by the Kings Norton Metal Company, of Birmingham. What is interesting is the "Broad Arrow in U", which is the Property Mark of the Union of South Africa. First time I have seen that on a case headstamp, and I note that it is on the primer also.

Regards,
Roger.

Many thanks Roger, i thought it was kings norton but the broad arrow and U threw me out could it have been made for export do you think ?
Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I suspect it was part of a contract made with KN by the South African government. It was made before WW1 started, so probably SA had already bought some 18-Pdr guns, and wanted the ammo for them. I think that they had a degree of independence by then, and rather than being supplied with Ordnance by the British government as a Colony, they were probably expected to buy their own. Hopefully one of our South African members with a better knowledge of history than me can confirm or otherwise!

Regards,
Roger.

Hi Roger, yes thats sounds about right, It would be interesting to see if any member from SA could shed any more light on it,
and thanks again
Andy

On the KN mark there is sometimes a letter in the oval piece above the KN, is this an indication of a subcontractor or did they have more than one plant?

There seems to be also a slightly diffrent KN marking (double lines in oval)

Attachments

• Kings Norton Metal Co, UK.jpg
    Kings Norton Metal Co, UK.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 12