What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to package a projectile or most anything ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
The object of this post is to give an example of packaging for
shipment of an item. The main object is to secure the item so that
it stays secure in the package. As opposed to preventing and external
object damaging the packaged item. By insuring the first the secound is also
accomplished. Many or all of us at one time or another have received an item
or items breaking through the package or have had items lost on that account.
These days this is no longer a light matter as we know.

The main point of this is (and there are numerous ways to achieve this and I show
my current method as an example)
That your item is secure and not loose so that it can move within the package
and that there is enough package around it to hold it secure.
At the end of this you will see that the item is triple boxed, glued and taped -
Of course the item must be disassembled as much as possible, empty and able to be seen
to be so.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
And anyone lucky enough to receive one of Gordons packages will have to allow a very long time to open them, with a complete tool kit of instruments plus plasters and bandages for when the knife/scissors slip! Also not good to open in front of family members as you do not want to expose them to the profanity that comes with the opening!! But there is never a question of anything being damaged in transit.

I always thought that Gordon had a captive ghost Egyptian mummy wrapper who did his packaging. I suggest having a band saw, utility knife, pliers for gripping tape and air craft metal snips as basic tools for the unpacking. A multi lingual book of profanity is also useful. But there is the fact the contents arrive un spoiled by human contact or official inquiry. The labor involved in the packing is truly appreciated as is the valued contents.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I received a package from Gordon, the 2 projectiles were securely wrapped in plastic and the whole box filled with expanding foam. It took ages to cut the projectiles out of the cocoon but it was worth the wait.
Dave.

Many years ago, during a holiday in Malta, I visited Fort Rinella historical site with its 1000 ton Armstrong gun. At the souvenir-store there I bought a miniature porcellan reproduction of the shell of this gun. Because it is a hollow porcellan vessel and knowing how suitcases are manhandled and thrown during airfreighting I rolled the shell up in towels and carried it in my handluggage. When I placed my bag on the security scan belt, suddenly the faces of all the security people around froze and all activity stopped. One officer very, very delicately opened the zipper of the bag. He gripped the towel-encased object and felt it to be very,very light in weight. After carefully removing the covering towels everybody around could see this to be a souvenir money-box and the frozen faces returned to live.Souvenir Money-box.jpg Sorry for the bad foto.