Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    The cylinder is made from ridge foam (for the ends) and a steel tube to join them, check out the thread I did about creating them:-
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...m-or-done-them

Premium Member
    Thanks
    5 shells complete.

1 almost finished (modification of the 1st APC shell with cap and crimp features being added).

2 waiting to be undercoated and base colour painted.

3 curing at the point of manufacture.

1 New shell being poured tomorrow.

Prototype shell at the fortress in an unpainted 'natural' state.

Another 8 - 10 shells yet to be made.

But now I have all my ducks in a row it should be a fairly easy process from now on thanks to the help from you and the other members of the forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NZ L1A1 Collector For This Useful Post:

AE501 (5th September 2015)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Well, the first 6 shells have been delivered to the Fortress..... They are now sitting in Magazine No.1 Shell Store on some original timber racking that had been left in the Fortress after it was abandoned in the 1960's. We have done some calculations and the magazine would of held 300 shells consisting of:-

50 x HE Shells
    100 x Practice Shells
    150 x APC Shells

The rack shown would of held the 50 HE Shells.

Magazine1_ShellStore_01.jpgMagazine1_ShellStore_03.jpgMagazine1_ShellStore_04.jpgMagazine1_ShellStore_05.jpg
    Last edited by NZ L1A1 Collector; 23rd September 2015 at 10:53 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZ L1A1 Collector For This Useful Post:

AE501 (23rd September 2015), hangarman (23rd September 2015)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    They look better there than on your doorstep!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Not to worry, I will have another 6 sitting on the doorstep soon...... the question is what to turn the 6 into.

Thanks

9.2 Inch Range Finding Tables

I know this is off the topic, but thought this might be of interest. I saw these 9.2 inch range finding tables for the 9.2 Inch Gun in Simons Town, Upper North Battery for sale. I'm going to try to get them for the Naval Museum in Simons Town, if they are interested.

9.2 inch range finding c.jpg

9.2 inch range finding d.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Naude For This Useful Post:

NZ L1A1 Collector (11th October 2015)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    That's a very nice find.

I wonder what happened to the ones for Wrights Hill Battery, hopefully they are sitting in someones collection. There must of been a large set of these, one for each Gun so that's three, and then for the variations in ammunition 4 CRH or 6 CRH for each gun so that's a minimum of 6 for the Battery.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I've started building a replica Cartridge Store Rack to put the No.36 Cylinders on and to stop the visitors tipping them over. The original racks were made from steel 4x2 channel and 2x1.1/2 angle. At this stage I can't recreate the steel work so I'm doing it in Timber to the same pattern as the steel design. Hopefully in the future we can get the steel work done. We have 36 replica cylinders and one original so I will re-create 2 bays of racks (3 frame uprights).

One question, does anyone have an image, photograph or real examples of the labels used in a magazine to detail the various lots for Shells and Cartridges, I would like to make some replicas so they can be attached to the wood distance pieces as the originals would of been.

I would suspect the label would have sections for:-

Date:
    Type:
    Mark:
    Lot:

CartridgeStoreRack.jpg

I'm also working on the racking for the Shells

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NZ L1A1 Collector For This Useful Post:

hangarman (9th November 2015)

Thanks
    Could you mould these in resin as well? I'm sure you well be able to sell these and they would be light enough to ship virtually anywhere?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Well, here is the racking for the No. 36 Cylinders. I still have to make a heap of wooden distance pieces, so that will be my task over the coming weeks.

20151116_221330.jpg

khanmak, I've talked to maker of the shells, he could make them as rigid foam, but the amount of foam needed could make them more expensive to make per unit, but they would be lighter.... maybe about 5 - 7 kg. Due to their size sending them anywhere no matter the weight will be expensive.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZ L1A1 Collector For This Useful Post:

AE501 (16th November 2015), hangarman (16th November 2015)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678