What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

" Bell Crank " ?

Bellifortis

While reading in OP 1664, page 197, Navy Nose Fuze (Rocket) Mk 135, I noticed a fuze element I have never heard of before : a bell crank. I know the meaning of bell and know a crank like the ones used to start the first cars more than a 100 years ago. Cranking to me is a "turning round motion". I now have a few questions. Is this fuze safety element shaped 3-dimensionally like a bell or is it only 2-dimesionally shaped ? When was this invented ? Is this design element still used nowadays ? In the drawing the 2 halves are fixed by a " bell crank pin" on which they can turn. If the element is quite thin, 2-dimensionally shaped I can understand that the halves can swing out on their pins, but not if it is round- shaped like a complete bell. Has anybody more detailed pictures of a "bell crank" ?
Thanking you in advance for your consideration, I remain respectfully yours,
Bellifortis.

You are right Kev. Meanwhile I also had searched the net, but should hgave done that first. The 2. link is a very nice and clear description. I surmised, when I first read this name in a fuze description that this is something peculiar to fuze design instead of mechanical engineering. Thanks for the links.
Bellifortis.