What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring 155 mm M485A2 Canister

Bcon7000

Hi
I'm trying to restore a used 155 mm M485A2 Illuminatinon canister, It had been in the family for years, and painted in a awfull color
what i need, are the RAL code, an stencils, and some instructions where to put these

is it possible tog get my hand on a parachute to complete it, anywhere... it would be nice :tinysmile_shy_t:

Here are some pics of the canister, the color is not the original
the Canister is water/sandblasted for about 12-15 years ago
I got the canister back in 1983

My plan is to sandblast it again, and paint it, with the correct color and stencils, eventually mount a parachute, if I can get my hands on the real deal :)

2015-08-18 22.09.26 (Small).jpg2015-08-18 22.09.31 (Small).jpg2015-08-18 22.10.01 (Small).jpg

I believe the carrier part that you have is painted flat white, but I will check. Not sure if there is any lettering on the carrier.

I'm having a difficult time finding the one that I remember being white, but I have photographed another one.

The body is Cadmium plated, and looks just like freshly plated steel 105mm tank cases used by the U.S. The cadmium can look gold in the right light and silver in other areas. It oxidizes to a kind of green, so that may be what you saw on yours at first.

The lettering is black letters inked onto the Cadmium plating. The letters are all capitals 1/4 inch tall, with 1/8 inch spacing between lines.

The lettering is as follows:

Line 1: CANISTER ILLUMINATING
Line 2: FOR PROJ ILLUMINATING
Line 3: M485A2
Line 4: LOT LOW-34-8 7-71

The M485A2 in line 3 starts under the second L in the ILLUMINATING of line 2, but this site keeps moving the spacing.

Attachments

• Canister 1.jpg
    Canister 1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 31
  • CANISTER 2.jpg
    CANISTER 2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 27
  • CANISTER 3.jpg
    CANISTER 3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 29
  • CANISTER 4.jpg
    CANISTER 4.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 24
It sounds plausible... now i need to find a way to get that look, or at least as close to it, as possible
Thanks for your help for now, it's just what i needed :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

In a search to see if one of my parachutes would suffice, I found this:

http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/includes/uxopages/Mulvaney_Details.cfm?Ord_Id=P196

Which clarified that none of mine were correct for this shell. I have 7 or 8 in various sizes with assorted flare body remains.
And note, yours would require a drogue chute along with the main. Good luck in your hunt.

It appears your "part" is: MAIN PARACUTE AND CANDLE LOADING ASSEMBLY

AND, in lieu of sandblasting, maybe use a liquid/gel paint stripper. Would be less offensive to the original metal finish.

Last edited:
Here in the UK you can get "Cadmium plating" paint. Its used by people restoring cars and from memory comes as 2 spray cans, one for the base coat and one for the iridescent top coat. As you have already blasted it maybe you can get it cad plated at a local plating shop....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQcT8TXeQOM

Cheers

Gary

I found my white canister, so here is a photo. You could paint yours either way. Color is flat white.

Attachments

• CANISTER 5.jpg
    CANISTER 5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 19
  • CANISTER 6.jpg
    CANISTER 6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Found one today, kind of a green colour. Markings are the same as the others that have already been posted, except the lettering is in white.
DSC09176.JPGDSC09177.JPG