What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SB-1000 Kg Information and detail required

Rockteer

Another lump in my collection is an SB-1000 kg, but having carried out some research it seems little is really known about these bombs.

Seems they were introduced around Jan 44 and some had a parachute and some didn't, suggestion online is that they were specially designed to fit the Me 410 bomb bay based on an example which was found during the war with "410" marked on it, I personally do not think this means anything or was perhaps a one off example. Mine has plenty of stamps but none tally up with aircraft type.

So, does anyone have any photos of one?? what colour were they? my example seems to have evidence of being either all over red oxide or Dark Slate Grey, other layers of paint revealed during stripping was as follows.

Red Oxide (wartime)
Dark Slate Grey (wartime)
Dark Royal Navy Blue (post war)
Dark Racing Green (post war)

I have so far opted for the Dark Grey as being the most likely correct colour for this bomb.

Also some confusion on what tail fins were used with this bomb, either steel or bakelite seems to be the most likely type used on the SB-1000 kg, but again information is sketchy.

The other thing I would like more detail on please is the nose filling plug which seems to have an ignition switch with a wire leeding down a central tube to a 55A fuze located in a single fuze pocket. How was this switch mounted in the nose cap? and what did the nose plug actually look like?

Here is an illustration of the monster...

Attachments

• SB-1000 kg.jpg
    SB-1000 kg.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 46
051.jpg052.jpg053.jpg054.jpg
There are some indications about colouring and markings in the text (in German...) ("kennzeichnung" section)

RAL 1006 is yellow: equivalent RGB (226, 144, 0) - just google RAL 1006 and you'll see samples of this color
RAL-1006-MAIZE-YELLOW.png

It seems unlikely to me tha the whole bomb was painted yellow, do you think it might be referring to the stripe on the tail fin?? or even perhaps the lettering?

The stripes only
dc15a13a6cd0.jpg
According to the US publications on German explosive ordnance, for the SB1000 the bomb casing is painted field gray with the following markings stenciled in black along the body, but i would be very cautious with this statement - in my experience one cannot really trust this publications concerning colors and markings (one of the worst case example in this area being the publication on British explosive ordnance). Here is some info I have gleaned on the issue:
The whole issue of colors of German bombs is complex, due to the fact that the instructions changed in the span of the war
[FONT=&quot]L.Dv. 4200 “Die deutsche Abwurfmunition” (1943) does not directly address the issue of bomb colors, but mention is made of colors for some weapons. The two colors mentioned of in this document are "beigegrau" (beige gray) and "dunkelgrau" (dark gray). The colors for some bombs (such as the SD500, AB250 & AB500) is specified as beigrau. Others (such as the Brand 50) are specified as dunkelgrau. One or two are labelled either/or. [FONT=&quot]N[/FONT]o other colors are specified.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]OP 1666, "[/FONT][/FONT]German Explosive Ordnance" (June 1946) in the introduction indicates that bombs under 500Kg were dark green, and anything over 500Kg was light blue, but further in the text it then specifies colors for each type of weapon, some not relating to the initial generalization at all (for instance, the SC250 - Types 1, 2 and 3; J, L, L2, B and K are specified as being field grey(sic), sky blue or aluminum overall.) This inconsistancy continues throughout, and no source for the colors specified is indicated
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I can see the problem, therefore having examined the original colours on my case and concluded "dunkelgrau" that might be the closest I am going to get, I have also seen reference to "Dark Green" and "Field Gray" when you search google for "Field Gray" there are several different shades which makes it even more confusing, some are green and some are more gray. I have quite a bit of shrapnel taken at the time and have used this in the past to get a colour match.

try checking field gray from a model makers paints thy will use the correct field gray,,,,,,, Dave