What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My few decorated casings

Gspragge

Premium Member
Difficult to get great images as the designs wrap around these small cases.
Some artistic license in the Voisin and an Iron Cross for the A.E.F. market !

It seems aeronautical subject matter is uncommon in decorated cases ?

Attachments

• BOER WAR Harry to Hannah.jpg
    BOER WAR Harry to Hannah.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Voisin Art.jpg
    Voisin Art.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 44
  • German Prisoner Art.jpg
    German Prisoner Art.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 46
I've amassed a quantity of rather crude ones typically done in a trench with a nail repeatedly pounded into casings.

Great pieces of art, there. The aviation theme is a big plus, for sure.

Included in my minuscule collection of trench art, I have this shell. A 105 M14.
IMG_1240.jpgIMG_1241.jpg

Acquired by my Dad in 1967 in DaNang, VN. I have advised the family that this should be my burial urn. When the time comes. Or, they can just dump the ashes somewhere. Hopefully with some dignity. Not that I'd care, but still.

Glad to see trench art is still a thing. I have some Iraq War painted F1s, so it's not a dieing art.

Good question. A VN civilian sold them in various states of engraving. This is the plain example. Brother ended up with the fancy one. Same-same brass, shape. I'll ask him the date on his.

Last edited:
It looks like it was spun on a lathe. It might have been the property of an Officer that served in WWII that was in Nam, and was liberated somehow.

I suspect a machine was involved, although there are some peen marks. And it's near perfect, symmetrically.

I may have had some time ago an American hand decorated case (French case) I think to a Pennsylvania division ?
My German Prisoner example certainly isn't "High Tec" don't imagine he was allowed many sharp instruments ~