What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 76 S.I.P. Grenade

No76 b.jpgI enjoyed this old thread on the No76 grenade. I ask how do you pick this glass bottle from the thousands of types available.It seems to have no embossing in the glass.
Does the bottom have a glass makers monogram? Australia made No76 with red tops so I wonder what bottles were used and if they were marked AGM? on the base.

I show two rubber Drill rounds (as shown before) to note the different print sizes.

View attachment 160462Thought I would add this item to this old thread.
I just found a cardboard ring for the neck of the No76 S.I.P. Northover Projector Grenade.
If two rings fit the necks of the grenades then what purpose do they serve? Help keep pressure behind the grenade?
The ring is not shown in my grenade books.
68.5mm (2.7") diameter. 27mm inner circle. 1.2mm thick cardboard.
I know that a rubber pad was between the charge and the bottle.
All information is welcome.

View attachment 160462Thought I would add this item to this old thread.
I just found a cardboard ring for the neck of the No76 S.I.P. Northover Projector Grenade.
If two rings fit the necks of the grenades then what purpose do they serve? Help keep pressure behind the grenade?
The ring is not shown in my grenade books.
68.5mm (2.7") diameter. 27mm inner circle. 1.2mm thick cardboard.
I know that a rubber pad was between the charge and the bottle.
All information is welcome.

The purpose of the cardboard ring(s) was to prevent the grenade from sliding down the barrel, and then out at the muzzle with serious consequences in the case of the Service (SIP) grenade. A single cardboard ring was sufficient when the barrel was horizontal or slightly depressed but two rings were found necessary when the barrel was significantly depressed.

Herewith an image of the cartridge.

Northover Projector CartridgeComp.JPG

As Ammotechxt says many a digger driver has wondered why the hole they're digging starts smoking. This photo is of a small collection found near Sunderland, following their disposal the police sent me a bill for the repainting of the skip I used to keep everything contained!!

SIP Gren.jpg