What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radar Detects Object Believed to Be Missing Nazi Gold Train

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. I hope it's true! Interesting stuff, like that kid who pulled out a gold bar from that lake a few weeks ago.

It was reported that if it is indeed the train, that it is likely to be booby trapped with mines and explosives.
I look forward to hearing more on this story.

Kev

Mein gott! das Tommy the Panzer Motor! :tinysmile_grin_t:
(apologies to our German members)

I hope they do find at least something,even just a train load of war supplies,that in itself would be an exciting find,on the other hand during the time I was involved with aviation archeology there were many stories of "buried Merlins in crates",they too proved very elusive,I hope they have more success than we did looking for the "Buried Merlins",
Regarsd,
Don,

Well, it appears this "gold train" was hidden in Al Capone's vault. Was hoping they'd find something good. Maybe next time.

Hmmm, I would prefer to keep an open mind on this one.

Finding a German Train from WW2 packed full of gold could open up a can of worms on a Political level. Who would it belong to? Who would claim it to be theirs? etc etc.
it would be much easier to say it didnt exist.

It might not of course, however over the years I have learned not to believe 'everything' I read.
What is clear is that they have admitted to there being a tunnel, as such to me the posibility would remain. Unfortunately with such media attention the fact that no train has been discovered would say to me that it would only encourage more would be 'Treasure Seekers' to the area?

Like the crated Spitfire saga, I sometimes wonder if such things are deliberately 'not found'? - yesterdays news is soon forgotten by the majority.

the 'myth' remains

Kev

I agree with Kev... Imagine this 'barnstone room' being in the train, either a lot of gold.
The Jewish lawyers were allready sharpening their pencils when the word gold appeared in the paper, stating they allready had their claims ready, as it was most definetely jewish gold.
As for the barnstone room; I think poland is not really interested in returning artifacts to a former occupier that left after a fifty years reign of communist oppression.

Better keep it all quit and make your own descissions about who can make an eventual claim. Do not forget the Polish themselves were one of the countries hit hardest by WW2, so they shurely have their own legitimate claims.

Last edited: