What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 47mm Shell Casing - 1925 Dated

M8owner

Surprise, surprise, surprise...I found this in a little antique store in the middle of Texas. It is the same size as my Italian 47mm shell casings, but the markings are not the same. Also, isn't 1925 too early for this to be Italian? According to the other postings on this site, only the Italians used these short Bohler casings.

47mm shell case.jpg

Nice find! Are you sure the dimensions are exactly the same? I think it will be slightly different. The Italian 47/32 case measures 47x195R56. This is indeed to early to be for the Italian 47/32, and the designations like LOT are not Italian at all. It reminds me most of British export.

Yes, I think Hoeksel ia right. The headstamp looks like the case was made by Kynoch, of Birmingham, but what type of 47mm gun, I do not know. A very nice find!

Regards,
Roger.

Can you post a case length in mm? That might give more of a clue to it's intended use.

It is just a few mm taller than my Italian 47mm case which I believe is 195mm tall. The base is approx. 50% thicker also.

mystery 47mm.jpg

Any chance that this would be for the 3 pdr or 47mm guns on the Vickers Independent or Medium Mark II tanks from the 1920's?

What is the rim diameter?

Robert Hawkinson's list shows a case called 47mm Nordenfelt which measures 47 x 202mm. It is listed as being a straight case with rim diameter of 58.8mm

I know of a UK manufactured 1927 dated 47x198 with rim diameter of 59,9 mm. Could be the same. Unknown to me what gun or country.

I measure the length at 202mm and the rim is 58.8mm. It does nothing for my collection. Anyone want to trade it for a 2 pdr antitank gun casing?

I would be interested in that trade if there wasn't the issue of international shipping. It seems to be too much of a gamble these days.

Yay! (plus some letters since BOCN does not allow such a short answer)