What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utah Beach area, Normandy

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
We visited earlier this month. The Utah Beach landing area was the western-most landing area, near the base of the Cotentin Peninsula. It is sandy and slightly North of coastal salt marsh and mud. A minor road runs parallel North - South to the sea and the ground inland has four roads running off that coast road inland, roughly East - West. The village of Sainte Marie Du Mont is 2 - 3 miles inland on higher ground and was fought for by US paratroopers. The low lying ground either side of the four roads that run inland was flooded at the time of the Allied invasion. The more famous small town of Sainte Mere Eglise is a few miles Northwest - slightly more inland - of St Marie Du Mont. Away from the immediate area behind the dunes the fields are small and of the bocage type. A number of minor roads are named after fallen servicemen. The spire of the church in Ste Marie Du Mont can be seen on the horizon slightly left of the post in the centre of the last photo.p1050330.jpgp1050331.jpgp1050332.jpgp1050333.jpgp1050334.jpgp1050335.jpgp1050342.jpg

Last edited:
I work with a guy whose grandfather has landed a couple of days after D-day. They marched along the roads with shrubs on both the sides. They saw dead Germans, but no fallen Americans. He asked why, and someone told him to look behind the bushes....

I'm afraid I don't understand ???? But may I ask why the Germans are "dead" but the Americans are "fallen" ?

Sorry, I just did not want to use the same word "dead" twice in the same sentence, just pure aesthetics. Both Germans and Americans were dead. The dead Americans were put behind the bushes so newly arriving Americans don't get scared that they would die too. The dead Germans were left in view to "lift the morale".