What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying a rather old looking 76MM Projectile.

KDWITT

Hello all. I am new to the forums, been looking around and it is clear there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was referred here by a member of Gunboards.com. My 8 year oold son and I have been trying to identify this shell that I found many years ago. I am going to copy and paste my request from Gunboards to here.

"I would like to first thank the group for allowing me to take part. I had found a rather large shell over 20 years ago and had tucked it away in my garage. Now I found it once again and my 8 year old son is much into reading about tanks and military items etc. It is clearly inert which is good as it is empty and no signs of any fuses. The shell is very heavy and after taking a good look it appears to be steel. 3" in Diameter and 13" in length. And weighs around 15 pounds. It has a threaded boss in the bottom side which I am guessing where the fuse went. It as a single red coloured band and has a "H" clearly stamped on the bottom lip and then very faint it as stamped "KEL 9067" I have looked high and low with now luck. Can anyone help my son and I identifying this shell please and great thanks! "

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150920_221742.jpg
    20150920_221742.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150920_221757.jpg
    20150920_221757.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to the forum KDWITT,
Maybe one of our American members can help with a possitive id for you, I would say it looks rather like a HESH round, 76mm would put it in the running to be a British round for Scorpion tank, I think the Canadians had one armed with this as well, called the Cougar.
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
Weasal I think you have it!! After entering the "HESH" along with 76mm in a search engine. This was the first picture the popped up. Looks identical!! Now to do a bit more research. Thanks for the head start on this!76mmround.jpg