What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

possible ww1 jewish trench art?

markito

a friend got me this jewish trench art from an antique shop in hungary, is it possible that this belong to a ww1 german jewish soldier?

hi im new here, thnx a lot for the add, 100_1096.jpg100_1095.jpg100_1094.jpg100_1097.jpg

It is possible BUT it is relatively long and made to be burnt continuously for several days. That would prohibit it to be used in the actual trench, where soldiers slept at night. Also, an expression "trench art" usually means stuff made out of war things discarded by the military, such as wasted ammunition.
"D - Herzberger" is something like David Herzberger, so you may do web searches combined with 1916, and may get lucky. Also, add Hungary to your search.

Last edited:
I'm having a problem equating the quality of the construction workmanship with the really crappy engraving work (except for maybe the name).
Not to mention that one side appears "Jewish" and the other "Christian".

Jon, I think it is not Christian but a very crude attempt to draw an Iron Cross medal. But you are right that there is a mismatch between quality of Menorah and quality of engraving, probably done by 2 different people. The guy who made the Menorah would really hate to see the writing on it.