What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Recoilless Rifle - M309 specifications

U

US Military Guy

Since I cannot seem to locate this projectile to complete an empty case, I have decided to turn one on my lathe.

I have already done one in wood, but I don't like the look or feel of it.

I have a metal lathe and am always looking for a project to improve my skills.

I have a piece of aluminum round - 3" x 12".

I have an M577 fuze.

Can anyone here provide me with a technical (sizes mostly, as I have TM 43-0001-28) drawing for the M309 projectile?

Thanks in advance!

Of course, if anyone knows where I can get a real projectile, that would be preferable - and then I could use my aluminum for something else.

The dummy round that Rick has linked appears to be OK. We have discussed CVDS before at length about their total ignorance about Ordnance and their deceptive ads and info. For instance the projectile right next to the 75mmRR round is labeled as a 75mm AP projectile, when in fact it is a 76mm projectile for entirely different guns.

In addition, any thing you get from them can be thrown together, with bondo and welding repairs etc. So, if I were to want to buy something from them, I would demand photos of the projectile outside the case, the mouth of the projectile without the fuze in it, and the condition of the rotating band, the fuze, etc. If you get something from them and discover it is incorrectly advertised, damaged and repaired, etc. etc. and you challenge them on the subject, they will just play stupid. Lastly, the guy running the business is not a combat disabled vet, and we don't even think he is prior service military. The guy that started the company (his father) is and has been a fireman, never in the military.

P.S., if you are looking for dimensional data on the M309, it is made from an M48 75mmG projectile with the rifling pre-engraved on the rotating band, and the area under the band turned down in diameter to fit in the 75mm RR case. I don't recall seeing any posting from you saying that you were looking for an M309 projectile. They are fairly obtainable if you are patient. The HEAT projos turn up every now and then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

I did find some photos of an M48 projectile that looks like they should import fairly well into my CAD program - now off to do some drawings.

HAZORD, you are correct in that I have not posted anything where I was looking for an M309 projectile. I have been looking "everywhere" - except here. Perhaps I should have started looking here first?

I have a couple 75mm Recoiless cases, so I will make one projectile from the chunk of aluminum that I have and continue looking for a "real" projectile.

The real ones are around

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

As I was looking for a picture of the 75mm M309 drawing I just found, I came across this thread.
I think this picture will be helpful to your project, if it's not completed already.
It came from this book available online : Handbook of ballistic and engineering data for ammunition volume 1 (20-1-95 to 75-1-310)

US_PRO_75M309.jpgcover.jpg

Regards,

S.

Last edited:
What units are used in that drawing, is this projectile really only 5 inches long? No diameters are shown or am I missing something.

gravelbelly

Gravebelly,

The measurements in "Handbook of Ballistic and Engineering Data for Ammunition - Vol 1 - 20-1-95 to 75-1-310 (1950)" are all given in calibers (1 cal = 2.953")

Attachments

• 75mm.jpg
    75mm.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 20