What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Bomb squad called in after mother finds her flower vase was an unexploded WW2 shell"

Saw this the other day in the Mail. Funny how she used it since her college days as a vase for holding flowers. Surprised the EOD handed it back to her empty or full.

She's in the paper because she's 'Healthy Looking" :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Any one's Old Gran wouldn't have got past the editor unless they were blown up ~

In the report it says the following.....

".........attempted to describe the shell that I had.
"I told them it was 12 inches in length and three inches across at its base. The top of it has a conical tip, which can be unscrewed.
"I used to unscrew it and put the flowers out of the top. ............"

I have learnt not to believe everything I read in newspapers......

maybe as a careers adviser she may recommend bomb disposal ?

Btw. it looks like a 75 mm Krupp shrapnel for Turkey... I wonder what type of "explosive" the experts removed, maybe traces of flower fertilizer?

It must be true as it was in the Telegraph! 'An unexploded bombshell"

Followed by the police 'The shell had the potential to have killed anybody within 20 metres and could well have taken the house down' PROVE IT? So have most gas boilers!

Is it any wonder that no one really believes what both the press and the police say. What is odd about this story is she got it back, in Preston a piece of magnesium that was once part of an incendiary bomb was taken away and blown up