What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 37mm M51 Target Practice Projetile from WWII

M8owner

I had a request to show my M51's, so I thought that I would share them with everyone. It really does have a flat surface under the ballistic tip. It is one of the lesser known and less common 37mm projectiles for the M3, M5, and M6 cannons.

Enjoy.

Steve

Attachments

• photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 86
Hi Steve,
Thanks for showing that one, its a new one for me to add to the list, the only flat top one that i knew of was the M51 A1 TP that i have been after for years, now i have two more to find as well.
Thought i would add some drawings of these rounds below for anyone interested.
Best regards Weasel.

M51 TP.jpgM51 A1 TP.jpgShot Target Practice M51 TP.jpg

I did not know there were that many variations of the target practice rounds. Just to be clear, the one in my picture with its tip off is marked M51A2 on the driving band. The other one, with the nice markings, is marked M51 on the driving band.

So I guess like the service variations M51 B1 / B2 / B3 the practice also had A1 A2 and possibly A3. Very interesting and thanks again for posting, always good to know there are more to find.
Best regards Weasel.

Weasel,

Thanks for the drawing of the M51B1 round. I've always liked this variation as it appears to be a mid-war attempt to make a bare bones practice projectile that was SOMETHING to send down the bore with a minimum of manufacturing costs and effort. It's mentioned in the TM9-1901 but not illustrated and they don't show up very often. Most I've seen were fired and recovered examples from the Patton training area or similar sites. Here's a couple photos of mine.

Steve,

Really interesting that your M51B2 projectile is painted under the windscreen. I don't recall seeing that before. Or has it been repainted?

Rick

PICT1432.JPGPICT1431.JPG

Rick - My M51B2 has most definitely been repainted. I have collected US 37mm since 1991. I have never seen a M51A1 TP before.

Last edited:
photo (28).JPGphoto (29).JPGIt is my understanding that this is a proof round for the 37mm, but I have never verified that information. This one has been repainted.

Here's a couple. An M51B1 w/o windscreen, in an M16 case and a trio of M51s for display purposes only.
IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1334.jpg IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1332.jpgScan0001.jpg

A better page scan
Scan0002.jpg

Found a couple more
A fired B1 and a Target 51
IMG_1336.jpg

and a shipping tube
IMG_1337.jpg

Last edited:
Rick,

In your first photo of the M51B1 without windscreen, is the point made of a dissimilar metal like a lead alloy or am I just seeing a color difference near the tip? I have one that looks just like that and I always assumed someone just made an end for it.

Steve,

That sort of looks like a proof projectile but the bevel at the top is wider than my example and the markings are completely different. Mine is marked as an M52 proof projectile on the body above the rotating band and not on the base. Of course, those differences might just be the change from prototype to standardized form. Mine came Via Steve Greenberg from an antique shop in Berwick, PA where American Car and Foundry proof fired the guns in M3A1 Stuarts. I'll try to post a photo of it later together with a couple other oddballs.

Rick

Rick

After taking that pic, I too noticed the color variation and "investigated" it. With a magnifying glass. It's just a paint thing. All one piece.

Rick