What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British wood 75mm and 17pr box

fritz84

Hello Guys!!
who can help me to identify the ammunition that were in these ammo box ??
17pr that of reading the inscriptions say:

17PR APC / armor piercing capped

CAN / Canadian production

E 32 A / batch number for the completed round

NH / non hydroscopic power

(T) / tracer

right ??
while for the 75 mm what about ??
thanks for the help
regards Mattia

1.jpg 4.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

The 17 Pr APC was used in the British 17 Pr anti-tank gun only.

The 75 mm was used in the early Sherman Firefly, before it was up gunned to the British 77mm gun.
The same projectiles were common to the 17 Pr anti-tank gun and 77mm tank gun, but the rounds are not interchangeable because the 17 Pr has a larger different design of case.
I think this has been covered in a recent thread.

Without wanting to be rude... There are a few errors in that response that need correcting.
The Sherman Firefly was the name given to the upgunned Sherman, replacing the 75mm with the British 17pdr.
Also while some of the projectiles for the British 17pdr and the 77mm guns (both 3inch) were often marked with both calibres, the cases were very different. To my knowledge no Firefly that saw combat ever used the 77mm gun or the 75mm gun. The British A34 Comet did use the 77mm gun, a derivative of the 3in 20cwt gun, and its performance was similar but slightly worse than the 17pdr.

Rich

Last edited:
Hello!!
many thanks for the answers
I also knew that only sherman firefly, uses the 17pd
but the "normal" English scherman should use for the duration of the war on 75mm or wrong ??
someone have to show me the exact contents of these boxes ??
I can not understand what it means smk after the letters 75mm
thanks again Mattia

Hi Mattia,
SMK is Smoke...there are bound to be quite a few articles in BOCN about the 75mm smoke rounds if you search.

In virtually all case the British used the 75mm Sherman or the 17pdr Firefly. While better than the 75mm, the US 76mm gun noticeably worse that the 17pdr and therefore little point using the 76mm. I believe there were a few cases where British used the 76mm, but not many.

British tank troops were quite often 3x Sherman (or Cromwell) 75mm plus 1x Sherman firefly. As a result the firefly was often targeted first, leading to the counter shading pattern being applied to half the length of the gun barrel making it looks like an ordinary 75mm

rich

Last edited:
Hello Rich!!
thanks again, I think I did the figure of the booby..... :angel:
but I swear I did not think the write smk that was smoke
It would be nice to complete these boxes
at least one shot
Mattia

Lovely boxes, Fritz 84, There should be a number, probably C prefix, on the bottom of the box. Can you post a picture of the inside of the top box?
Cheers
Gary

Lovely boxes, Fritz 84, There should be a number, probably C prefix, on the bottom of the box. Can you post a picture of the inside of the top box?
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary!!
now they are away at work
when I get back control and do photos..
Mattia