What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effective ? Australian Gun Laws --------------

Gspragge

Premium Member
Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts....

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to
surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government,
a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria.....
Lone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that
while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not
and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the
past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey
is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and
assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased,
after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully
ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American
evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly
disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest
citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the
law-abiding citizens.

Last edited:

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the
past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey
is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and
assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

The "break-ins" while people are at home is referred to as "Home Invasions" and has sky rocketed since the banning of semi-auto etc.

Last I read on this, Home Invasions statistics has still not been "defined" /categorized (hence the above wording) and therefore aren't included in most police statistics, hence not reported - now you see why!!!

The gun societies here in Oz stated from day 1 that the banning of guns will only affect /punish the already law abiding gun owners, the crims have been laughing ever since.

And if guns restrictions aren't bad enough, the variation in state laws for collecting inert ordnance is insane (apart from wanting to import anything) - some states require level 3 storage security for collecting inert ordnance (L3 is the same as having de-activated MGs) while other states no permit is even required.

What are the deactivation standards for guns like in Australia? Here in the UK they are quite extensive, but the guns are otherwise unregulated once deactivated. There are no registration or secure storage requirements, but common sense applies for example not walking down the street carrying them.

Thanks for that.

It seems that we actually have quite a good situation in the UK compared to some countries as far as collecting inert ordnance goes. It is unlikely it will stay this way though.

"Safe Storage" varies between states, and in NSW a "prohibitive weapons permit" is required to collect de-activate MGs (registration) and as well as Level 3 (highest) storage.

Importation can be a grey area and boils down to the specific item - I applied and was granted an importation permit for a British WW2 Magnetic pistol, which as you can see by design fulfills the sectionization requirements without any additional modifications..................unfortunately the sale never went through..............:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Attachments

• TorpedoMechanism3.jpg
    TorpedoMechanism3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 27
  • TorpedoMechanism4.jpg
    TorpedoMechanism4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 29
I remember reading on the internet that there are a lot of guns in Australia that were never registered. Apparently some states did not require registration in years past, so there is no real indication of how many of these exist. Many are believed to have been quietly stashed away by owners.

The only indications are the numbers imported versus numbers confiscated and destroyed. Obviously there is a large disparity here.

There are similar situations in the UK over much longer times. The number of certificates issued when licensing was first introduced (before registration) is apparently much larger than today, also compared to the numbers destroyed by the government.

A lot of these must still be out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Following the shooting in California I was reading about gun control in the state on the USA Today website.

It appears that you have to take a test to get a California Firearms Safety Certificate before you can buy a gun. I found the test online and took it. Result 100% Correct. OK I used to shoot handguns in the UK when you still could but calling this a TEST is a joke. Most tests are passed with 83% and the pass mark is 70%. Not difficult at all.

Just a small 5 minute stop on the way to buying your Glock to take to school. You have to wait a week whilst background checks are made but it is just so easy. I remember when I got my FAC in the UK. I had to shoot as a probationer with gun club for months, I was visited by the Police to check me an my storage facilities. Limits were put on how much ammo I could buy and store. In the USA you can buy unlimited .223 / 9mm rounds without even showing a licence.

What's it like in Australia now?

John

Last edited:
I can remember when they banned shot guns with a magazine of more than three rounds pump and semi and converted firearms to shotguns ie bored out rifling of Brenguns etc, more guns were sold in pubs to who ever than any time in history, one of the reasons was no compensation, more guns fell into the hands of criminals that were most probably used in later gun crime as our gun crime went up after such bans. Watch out gun owners in the future especially America as they will use war against terrorism as an excuse to curtail you liberties and grab your guns, a lot of it is also to do with UN directives.
I remember reading on the internet that there are a lot of guns in Australia that were never registered. Apparently some states did not require registration in years past, so there is no real indication of how many of these exist. Many are believed to have been quietly stashed away by owners.

The only indications are the numbers imported versus numbers confiscated and destroyed. Obviously there is a large disparity here.

There are similar situations in the UK over much longer times. The number of certificates issued when licensing was first introduced (before registration) is apparently much larger than today, also compared to the numbers destroyed by the government.

A lot of these must still be out there somewhere.