What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 37mm Unknown Proof Projectile

Weasel

Premium Member
I have had this round in my collection for a few years now and would like to know if anyone can offer up any more info for me about it, it does not match any proof projectile that i have seen before but is far too well made to be a mock up item. It unscrews and has a lead core while the body is made of an alloy.
Any ideas ?
Best regards Weasel.

collection unsorted new 019.jpgcollection unsorted new 024.jpgcollection unsorted new 027.jpgcollection unsorted new 025.jpg

I have been collecting US 37mm rounds since 1991, and I have never seen anything like that before.

Hi Hazord,
The markings are as follows,

FA - E - 334 - 58 - 37MMR20

Best regards Weasel

Last edited:
The FA-E stands for Frankford Arsenal Experimental, and the 58 is most likely the year. In a different timeframe they used a T designation for Test. What you have could be for anything.

Maybe Bob Millichamp has it in his books.

Hi Hazord,
Thanks for your reply, will that be Vol 3 of the 37mm A Gun For All Nations or is there another one he has done with that info in ?
Best regards Weasel.

I guess if it isn't in the first two, it might be in #3. You might write to him to find out. Maybe he will want to include it.

Hi!!
You have pulled a god one on me. I do not have this one in Vol III. (which is 2 years late due to many problems.) The R numbers do appear in early 1960's for the HV tests preceeding the Vigilante series and would be in Vol IV. Did the case come with the projectile? With the split projectile, it looks like the U.S. made Copies of the German HV types during WW II, but not with a 1953 date. and it would have a Tungston steel core, and a ballistic cap. There were a series of 37mm CBR cargo projectile tests in the 1950's with 2 part aluminum/ steel projectiles and glass packing. The U.S. projectile types for the 37 AT gun went up to M1000. I have samples of 3 diff US Proofs and none are multiple parts but the 37 mm size was useful for ballistic testing of scale model 105/120mm HV tank gun rounds at Aberdeen proving grounds, and so there were a lot of small quantity strange shapes made.

Hi!!You have pulled a god one on me. I do not have this one in Vol III. (which is 2 years late due to many problems.) The R numbers do appear in early 1960's for the HV tests preceeding the Vigilante series and would be in Vol IV. Did the case come with the projectile? With the split projectile, it looks like the U.S. made Copies of the German HV types during WW II, but not with a 1953 date. and it would have a Tungston steel core, and a ballistic cap. There were a series of 37mm CBR cargo projectile tests in the 1950's with 2 part aluminum/ steel projectiles and glass packing. The U.S. projectile types for the 37 AT gun went up to M1000. I have samples of 3 diff US Proofs and none are multiple parts but the 37 mm size was useful for ballistic testing of scale model 105/120mm HV tank gun rounds at Aberdeen proving grounds, and so there were a lot of small quantity strange shapes made.
I owned this round for 10 years before passing it to Weasel. The case came with the projectile when I purchased it. The core is some sort of soft dense metal, possibly a lead alloy (Weasel can confirm). The round originated from a huge European collection that was split up in the late 1990's.Dave.