What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww2 german buck SF5 mine fuse, what Version?

fkw81

Hi,
i need more informations about this version.

thanks

Attachments

• DSC03314.jpg
    DSC03314.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03317.jpg
    DSC03317.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03318.jpg
    DSC03318.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
There was type a and type b. This is the common version type a but very hard to find if not impossible. Type b was shorter and even rarer, but saying that, who knows what turns up these days.

Please some one correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a reproduction

You're right Dave, that's certainly copy.
The upper part -of the longer version- obviously, the thread looks a bit better ... nevertheless quite a nice dummy for any Glasmine displays.

@fkw81 ... sorry, never seen these pics before.

Hello!!
yes is nice copy for a displays but not at that price :banghead:
there are some good copies in resin for 6/7€
however, if someone has a buckzunder original for sale are always looking :angel:
Mattia

I use to make the resin replicas, good to fill a hole in that collection gap until an original turned up.

I spoke with the seller, it should be an original Buck of 3 and last generation igniters act .100% original !!!!

On a similar subject, what is the going rate for a Topf mine fuze?

I have never seen a "Buck"-fuse in such beautiful condition. The aluminum casewalls of an original are very, very thin and any ingress of moisture, especially over many years, oxidises the Al so that the structure crumbles to pieces. I have seen in my live only a very few originals. The screwthreaded bottom piece in these was made of a plastic material. This makes it undetectable (only the thin Al-case is metallic) by WW2 minedetectors. A brass-bottom-piece, like the one in the "E gun" photos makes a mine fitted with this detectable. In the originals that I have seen, the plastic-bottom-piece had, on it's upper circumference an about 1mm wide and 1mm deep halfcircle-shaped incision. The thin aluminum case was pressed into this halfcircle and so fixated the case to the bottom, so no horizontal movement was possible. I'm no expert. I have seen too few originals and no manufacturing literature at all to give an expert judgement. But, I would not pay any money for the offered empty hull. That's just my personal feeling.
Bellifortis.

I have never seen a "Buck"-fuse in such beautiful condition. The aluminum casewalls of an original are very, very thin and any ingress of moisture, especially over many years, oxidises the Al so that the structure crumbles to pieces. I have seen in my live only a very few originals. The screwthreaded bottom piece in these was made of a plastic material. This makes it undetectable (only the thin Al-case is metallic) by WW2 minedetectors. A brass-bottom-piece, like the one in the "E gun" photos makes a mine fitted with this detectable. In the originals that I have seen, the plastic-bottom-piece had, on it's upper circumference an about 1mm wide and 1mm deep halfcircle-shaped incision. The thin aluminum case was pressed into this halfcircle and so fixated the case to the bottom, so no horizontal movement was possible. I'm no expert. I have seen too few originals and no manufacturing literature at all to give an expert judgement. But, I would not pay any money for the offered empty hull. That's just my personal feeling.
Bellifortis.

Totally agree with Bellifortis, i once had a mine collection and only one buck igniter on my pot mine 150. so thin the upper part it could brake with little effort this looks too new,,,,,,, Dave