What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German 5.7cm Shell Cases

Spitace41

Hi all. I picked these up at a boot- sale recently. Am I correct in thinking that they are German 5.7cm cases. I purchased in a hurry and didn't realise the primers were unstruck. I have heard that vinegar will neutralise any material remaining, is this the case? I have never seen one of these cases before, are they fairly common? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG1937.jpg
    IMAG1937.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG1938.jpg
    IMAG1938.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG1939.jpg
    IMAG1939.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG1943.jpg
    IMAG1943.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 72
they are made only during the war for captured belgian and russian 5,7 cm Nordenfelt guns. They are not extremely rare but the belgian ones for example are more common.

And to add to Alpini's comment, the Russian ones you see much less than the German ones.

Thank you for the information guys. I would like to obtain a projectile for one of these at some point, however I think that they will be pretty rare.