What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help with a 12 pdr RML artillery shell

Howdy all, I have this artillery shell that I am trying to identify and have been unable to come up with anything. As close as I can figure it is for a 12 pdr RML. It is approximately 3.5 inches wide at the studs and 7 inches tall. it is hollow with a hexagonal fragmentation sleeve. The fuse is a powder train time delay for with a scale of 0 - 9. The only markings that I have found are "L+" located on the bottom. Any help in identifying this would be much appreciated.

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1458.jpgIMG_1459.jpgIMG_1460.jpgIMG_1463.jpgIMG_1464.jpg

God Bless, Joel

Alpini, Thanks for the help. Do you have any further information on these shells? I tried a search and have not come up with anything. Joel

It's a muzzle loading shell with an expanding base. The channels on the side allow some of the flames in the barrel bypassing the shell body to ignite the powder train fuze. There was some quick match in the fuze to catch the fire.

The "+" (Swiss Cross) is the typical swiss acceptance stamp found on most swiss ammunition.

Attachments

• Swiss.jpg
    Swiss.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Alpini, Thank you that is just the information that I was looking for. By the way what was the book that the illustration came from? Joel

Hello Alpini,

Very interesting, thank you but I think the shell is bigger than 4pr. Do you have other references ?

Regards

I measured my shell and it is 90mm wide at the studs and 82mm for the body. Total height is 180mm with the fuze and 150mm with out the fuze. Joel

Hello Alpini,

What do you think of my question above ?
The shell seems to be heavier than 4pr.

What is the diameter of 4pr shell ? On your diagram 4pr shell seems to be smaller than the shell shown (comparison between the size of fuze and shell)

Regards

sorry, did not read this thread again after my post.

@Vaquerojoel: please forgive me, but after an hour of searching I give up to find out in which book I found the diagram.

@Joe: Beeing no expert for swiss artillery I could be wrong but I think this fuze had no complicated nomenclature like later fuzes. I only read that it is a "Breithaupt" fuze (named after it's inventor "Ritter von Breithaupt")

@MinenAZ: I found an other diagram showing this shell - this time with meassurements and they fit well for Vaquerojoel's shell. I also don't know of such a shell in a different size. This time I can write down my source (as I should have done for the other one) - it is from the book "Die Kriegsfeuerwaffen der Gegenwart" written by "Karl von Elgger, Hauptmann im schweizerischen Generalstab" published by "Brockhaus Verlag, Leipzig 1868".

Attachments

• 4-pr Swiss.jpg
    4-pr Swiss.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thank you Alpini.

Maybe Vaquerojoel could give us the weight of his shell.

Regards

Last edited:
Alpini thanks for the reference, you have been most helpful.

MINENAZ16, the weight of my shell is 8 lbs. empty with the fuze attached. I would guestimate 1/3 to 1/2 lb. of black powder could be packed into its cavity.

Also, my understanding of ordnance from this period is that the weight given for a particular ordnance piece was that of a round iron ball that fit the bore diameter of that piece. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Joel

Last edited:
Alpini thanks for the reference, you have been most helpful.

MINENAZ16, the weight of my shell is 8 lbs. empty with the fuze attached. I would guestimate 1/3 to 1/2 lb. of black powder could be packed into its cavity.

Also, my understanding of ordnance from this period is that the weight given for a particular ordnance piece was that of a round iron ball that fit the bore diameter of that piece. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Joel

Thank you.