What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm (2cm) Pzgr 40 Projectiles

Not from a German manual I know but courtesy of Mr J.Lippert. At least there are some dimensions there to go on. I myself am not familiar with this variant with the screw-in tracer element.20x138G%20381a.jpg

Is this what you're looking for ?

Attachments

• pzgr40_Page_1.jpg
    pzgr40_Page_1.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 54
  • pzgr40_Page_2.jpg
    pzgr40_Page_2.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 55
  • pzgr40_Page_3.jpg
    pzgr40_Page_3.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 52
  • pzgr40_Page_4.jpg
    pzgr40_Page_4.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 87
Thank you, Gentlemen. Those are both quite helpful.

Orpheus - Is there picture in your manual of the projectile that I have? Your image is of the "long" variant - I believe.

My plan is to display these in shadow boxes mounted on the wall with the "proof" that they are real displayed behind the projectile. I will also add an X-ray image.

Last edited:
M8owner,

The pages are from 'H.Dv. 481-2 Merkblatt für die Munition der 2cm Waffen (20.4.43)' and are the only ones about the 2cm Pzgr40 i have...

Geert.

I hope that this may help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 89
It is from a photocopy of pages from Pamphlet 7 of the Handbook of Enemy Ammunition a War Office publication.

Does anyone know the history/service use of these? Were they designed for the Luftwaffe (ground attack aircraft) or Heer (pzII/armored cars)? Who actually received them?
I'm guessing the "41" in there is the date... just in time for Barbarossa...??? Were there any different dates?

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
I'm by no means a Luftwaffe expert, but I've never seen the 2cm Pzgr40 used in any other case than the S18-1000 long Solothurn (20x138 B) , and my understanding is that the Luftwaffe tended to use the cannons such as the MG151 as compared to the S18-1000 they were lighter, had higher rate of fire and far less prone to jamming which would be critical factors for air to ground. The 10x Pzgr40's Steve found I can only assume were from a 10 round magazine for the Kwk30/38 which I believe only used 5,10 & 20 round mags, due to jamming issues.

Ill do some more research but to my knowledge they were only used in the Heer, Panzer II (Kwk30 & Kwk38) and Sd.Kfz 234, 222 etc, armoured cars. Whether or not magazines were supplied to Flak38 (FlakPanzer Ostwind, Wirblewind etc) units for AT usage I also don't know.

If anyone has more specific info on usage, please post.

Rich

Last edited:
Mick now has one of these in the UK available to trade.

New thought: I like the Russian 76mm arrowhead that Mick has for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
I'm by no means a Luftwaffe expert, but I've never seen the 2cm Pzgr40 used in any other case than the S18-1000 long Solothurn (20x138 B) , and my understanding is that the Luftwaffe tended to use the cannons such as the MG151 as compared to the S18-1000 they were lighter, had higher rate of fire and far less prone to jamming which would be critical factors for air to ground. The 10x Pzgr40's Steve found I can only assume were from a 10 round magazine for the Kwk30/38 which I believe only used 5,10 & 20 round mags, due to jamming issues.

Ill do some more research but to my knowledge they were only used in the Heer, Panzer II (Kwk30 & Kwk38) and Sd.Kfz 234, 222 etc, armoured cars. Whether or not magazines were supplied to Flak38 (FlakPanzer Ostwind, Wirblewind etc) units for AT usage I also don't know.

If anyone has more specific info on usage, please post.

Rich

Hi Rich - your reply makes sense.
I was just perusing the British pamphlet No. 7 and I notice they refer to the round as the "Solothurn S.A. Cartridge". In the same pamphlet other German cartridges are referred to as either PAK or KWK. The American manuals always refer to German 20mm as Mauser or Oerlikon - only referring to it as Solothurn when referring specifically to the anti-tank rifle. Do most British wartime documents generalize all German 20mm and give it the generic term "Solothurn"?
What do you think of the theory that these were produced out of a requirement for more effective Solothurn anti-tank rifle ammunition - with that being its primary deployment?
The pamphlet is dated 1943 based on ammunition captured in the desert where the Solothurn anti-tank rifle saw widespread use. Note too that the Solothurn anti-tank rifle used only a 10 round magazine. Also the production dates of the ammunition seems to coincide with the deployment of the Solothurn anti-tank rifle.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
Ill stress this would be guess work, but the 20x138 cartridge was used by a variety of weapons, from the Swiss S18/1000 ATR in German hands to the KwK & FLaK 30/38 or Lahti and probably others too

However, as I've only ever seen 2cm Pzgr.40s with AUX (Polte Magdeburg), WaA markings and 1940/41 dated, It seems likely the only country using Pzgr.40 was Germany (possibly the Fins too) and since they were on the offensive across Europe at that period, it would make sense to me, to up-gun their more mobile (than Infantry or tanks) armoured cars e.g. Sdkfz 222 in Reconnaissance or Anti-Mechnanised units. Having said that, the projectile was lighter than the standard 2cm AP (105g versus 130-140g), so arguably more usable in a rifle for small tank hunting team due to less recoil?

If anyone has some facts rather than my guesswork, it would be interesting to know.

Rich

Just thought I would show these,as the longer one has its original paint stencilled 100g.note one has copper drive band,the other iron.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 72