What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stuff they don't teach you in school..............

Dronic69

Premium Member
Stumbled across this book in a store recently - according to the author the same Japanese carrier force that attack Pearl Harbour was responsible for the attack on Darwin.

What's more interesting is the following reported facts:

1) More bombs were dropped on Darwin;
2) More civilians killed; &
3) More ships sunk.

Interesting, as from memory the above statistics were never mentioned during any school history lessons or books............just stated that Darwin was attacked by a Japanese air raid.

(Or did I wag school on those days.............................hum)

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMAG1675a.jpg
    IMAG1675a.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG1676a.jpg
    IMAG1676a.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 40
I must be on a roll - picked up the latest Auto Club mag and there's an article on "Horn Island" - the second most bombed Australian place after Darwin.....................

Not even sure where Horn Island is exactly - must have wagged more geography classes than I remembered............:tinysmile_twink_t:

Enjoy!

Cheers

Attachments

• Horn Island -2.jpg
    Horn Island -2.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Horn Island -4.jpg
    Horn Island -4.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Horn Island -3.jpg
    Horn Island -3.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 30
  • Horn Island -1.jpg
    Horn Island -1.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 32
I've always found that Australians never make a big deal out of things...they just get on with it and get the job done.

You probably recently read /heard in the media about "Australians" going overseas to join / fight with ISIS, but I bet you didn't know that we have a history of this.........................

Here's a book I spotted the other day where it states that Australians (Victorians mine you! (LOL)) jumped onto a visiting Confederate Ship and were involved in the American Civil War!!!!

Enjoy!
Cheers
Drew

BTW - "....and the answer to the universe is 42!"

Attachments

• IMAG1854.jpg
    IMAG1854.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1855.jpg
    IMAG1855.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 6