What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British bomb detonator ID

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

We found a British 500lb (ww2) fuzed with a Pistol 30 mkIV with a detonator unknown for us.
We usually find detonator with green paint on the bottom.
I know the black circle is for the delay (detonator N°51) but what is the difference between green and black paint on the bottom ?

Regards.

Deto.jpgDeto 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I think it is the difference between Anvil type detonators and Sensitive detonators. The first type are identified by a colored band of 3/8" wide around the detonator head. The second type are identified by the stem, which is painted green for a length of approx. 1" (2.54 cm) from the closed end and by a green label inside the detonator head.

Rgds,
Mossie

Hello,

Thanks guys.
Yes I know green stem meens a sensitive detonator but I have no reference on black stem. As far as I know Pistol No30 with his long striker was used with a sensitive detonator.
What is the difference with Anvil detonator ?

Regards

Minenaz16,

I can't find any reference in A.P. 1661C to black stems, is it possible that it is green paint that has become discoloured?

TimG

Detonators 0013.jpgDetonators 0023.jpg

Thank you TimG.
Yes maybe a change of color with time and moisture.

Yoda, sorry, I know the difference of construction between anvil and sensitive but I don't know if stems of anvil are painted.

Regards

Thank you TimG.
Yes maybe a change of color with time and moisture.

Yoda, sorry, I know the difference of construction between anvil and sensitive but I don't know if stems of anvil are painted.

Regards

OK, if I follow another source (H.Belot), only the sensitive detonators had a green band on the stem. In his Deminest, he let see a drawing of a detonator with the green stem and a black head collar.
Now, for me, I have two solutions on your problem :
- as writed before, it could be a passed green color wich became black
- british manufacturors repeated, for X lots of detonators (it's not frequently !), the head band color on the stem (to verify).

If it is always possible, a X-Ray view of the detonator should let see if it is an anvil detonator or a sensitive detonator !

Yoda

Last edited:
One would have to have a photo of the 2 detonators to more accurately see the colors. I am also of the opinion that the color has changed over time into a black green. The detonator was about 70 years in a bomb installed in which chemical processes have played. Gruß an alle!!!! Harry