What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

repro det,primer cord,time fuse

kiwieod

does anybody know a good source for repro det/primer cord and blasting fuze.also any tricks to make your own

I'm looking for this info too, and would love to see some good photos and diameters of WW2 original Bickfords, Cordtex (orange I think?), and Instantaneous Fuse.
I've looked at all sorts of things on ebay, leather cord, bunjee cord, upholstory cord and electrical cord!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291424712...48&var=590523762813&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201152695...48&var=500313239450&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281780567...48&var=580780819398&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-...hash=item1e8401d46f:m:msTs54PJ0mH8wd-L3u-SRFw

There must be something 'similar' just need some good references to work from

cheers
Paul

Bickford fuse

Hallo,
Bickford Safety Time Fuse is a british invention by Mr. Bickford and since it's invention in universal use, everywhere in the world. The mashines to weave and fill the cord with black powder also all work on the same principal. attached is a foto of original, live (I'm a pyrotechnician) east german Bickford time fuse produced at the Schönebeck/ an der Elbe factory some time in the 1980s/1990s. The diameter and weaving of the inner cord are nearly universal. The cords differ in their outer covering. This one is PVC covered. I removed a part of the outer covering, so you can see the inner weaving. I have never had british WW2 Bickford fuse in my hands. so I do not know its outer covering and looks. If you find out what the outer covering is like, its easy to reproduce it. I can burn out the black powder of the east german bickford and then you have a completely inert original time fuse cord that can be mailed without any problem anywhere in the world. The pieces I have are 1m-1,20m long.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• GDR Bickford 001 - Kopie.jpg
    GDR Bickford 001 - Kopie.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 102
Thanks, here is an image from the net of (Bickfords, I assume) Safety Fuse

Attachments

• Slow Burning Fuse.JPG
    Slow Burning Fuse.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 74
Find an old house being demolished.A lot of the older wiring was rubber or cloth bound,some of the cloth type binding looks like det cord.

If you have the right credentials, IME can help you with the det cord and some of the other pieces. I purchased 800' ea of 25gr and 50gr earlier this year, it came from a Canadian manufacturer someplace out west. Keep in mind that it is made on the same production line and will be contaminated. Not hazardous, but will set off several detection systems.

For time fuse I sometimes use actual fuse, but first burn it underwater. Functioning underwater leaves it in near mint appearance, but leaves it brittle. Great for display but does not take handling well. If you need high accuracy for training it is better than any inert product.

If you have the right credentials, IME can help you with the det cord and some of the other pieces. I purchased 800' ea of 25gr and 50gr earlier this year, it came from a Canadian manufacturer someplace out west. Keep in mind that it is made on the same production line and will be contaminated. Not hazardous, but will set off several detection systems.

For time fuse I sometimes use actual fuse, but first burn it underwater. Functioning underwater leaves it in near mint appearance, but leaves it brittle. Great for display but does not take handling well. If you need high accuracy for training it is better than any inert product.

Here is what the det cord looks like. Omni explosives also has a number of inert materials for credentialed purchasers. Pentolite cast boosters, sheet, C4, semtex, perf charges, electric and non-electric caps, etc. - all X-ray accurate.

IMG_0236a.jpg

From the photos and what I read about the construction of Safety fuse it is covered in varnished friction tape. So I made mine by covering cotton cloths line cord with hockey stick tape. (you can't get friction tape for electrical any more but they are the same thing). Then I gave it a coat of varnish, blackened the ends with black marker and then dipped them in liquid electrical tape which is how they sealed the ends.
For Cordex I found that RG-56 TV cable is very close to the later plastic covered stuff so I used that and coated the ends again. I comes in different colours I used white the late type and I read Grey was earlier. I've used Detcord lots and RG-56 has pretty much the same feel and knot tying flexibility.
Fuse Instantaneous was rarely used for demolitions, sometimes booby traps and mostly for battle simulation. For RE units it was held in HQ in case it was needed along with most booby trap switches. So to me its not a common demolition accessory.

Does anyone know if WWII German white detonation cord was the same look and size as WWII British detonation cord? I have a small coil of the German stuff, but want to make a British S.O.E. train rail detonation display.

Thanks

John