What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 PDR Mk 1

Dandebur

Hello.
Found this year a case not common at all: 1 PDR Mk 1 ( 37x70R ). I think it is for an aircraft cannon.
Regards,
Dandebur.8.jpg9.jpg

Yes, it is for the Vickers aircraft gun. Fairly rare, and you will have to probably wait a while until you find a projectile for it. Good luck, the Otter

could this be a MKl case that has been modified -

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 56
yes these were for the aircraft gun,and loaded with an incendiary projectile which worked in the same way as the 1.59 Craford
incendiary.I know of four in collections including mine.A pointed projectile with French style drive bands like the 1 1/2 pr COW gun
projectiles.I may not be able to upload a photo,but will if I can.
Cheers Tim

There was an incendiary projectile, but the one I've normally seen in this case is a short HE with the supersensitive No. 131 fuze for use against airships and balloons. In the pic from my ammo photo gallery below, this round is shown second from left (with a 1.59 inch Crayford shown third).

37-40mmWW1.jpg

Judging by the latest ebay price for projectiles you might be better off selling your case !

There was an incendiary projectile, but the one I've normally seen in this case is a short HE with the supersensitive No. 131 fuze for use against airships and balloons. In the pic from my ammo photo gallery below, this round is shown second from left (with a 1.59 inch Crayford shown third).

View attachment 114280

Yes that is the projectile we commonly see in the MK111 case,but all four MK1 cases I have seen have been loaded with the
projectile I have described previously,it has two half moon shaped holes in base for the incendiary material to burn out of.
I hope Berny Davis will confirm this.

So - what was the 1 pdr Mk 1 then? Was it actually a different gun from the Mk III? Or were existing cases cut down to make the first batch of ammo for the Mk III?

Tim is correct in that there are four of these rounds known (at least to me) with the projectile as he described all found in the cut down Mark I cases. The cases are all dated 1916 and I can only assume that they were modified 37 x 95mm cases used as trials for the Mark III gun. I will take pictures at the weekend.

D