What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jericho Pipe

ordnance

Premium Member
I went to a small militaria show this weekend and had a pleasant surprise. A friend brought a small lot of German bomb items he had acquired many years ago in a larger group of WWII German souvenirs. The 1.3Kg incendiary in the photo was not part of the group, but one I've owned since the 1970s. It was just included in the photo for reference.

The three tail fins were easy to recognize as parts of 1Kg and 1.3Kg incendiaries and I thought the two in ordnance tan color were interesting as most seem to be green like the ones on my 1937 dated bomb.

The real surprise was the Jericho whistle, an item I never expected to see on this side of the Atlantic. Larger German bombs are pretty scarce here in collections and a tail fin whistle would seem to be even scarcer. I guess there were various types including paper tubes, all steel tubes, and composite types like this example with steel body and wooden nose nailed to it.

Together with the Jericho Trumpet sirens on some Stuka dive bombers, the tubes attached to bomb fins must have added a lot of terrifying noise to the battlefield, just as the Nazi Propaganda Ministers intended.
PICT0098.JPGPICT0101.JPGPICT0105_1.JPGPICT0099.JPG

Traffic was a bit heavy driving home but managed to find an open piece of road and couldn't resist holding it out the window at 70mph to see if it would whistle. Yes, it did howl a little but nothing dramatic. I guess we should have taken it up to 300mph for more excitement.

Don't you dare hang that out a car window again, next you will be dropping it of the Grand Canyon. .... very nice to see..... Dave

Great find!
Thanks for showing.
To reach the 300mph weld some JATO rocket to the cars frame :)
Bob

Very nice! I would love one of these for the collection!! is there any inspection stamps or makers marks??

Nice photos Joerg!!!

It seems as though there were several ways of attaching them to the bomb fins, the one in the subject of this post seems to be fixed direct to the fins where as the ones in the photos seems to be held in place with a bracket, I have some SD50 fins which still have a length of alloy strip that the Jericho fixed to.

Very nice! I would love one of these for the collection!! is there any inspection stamps or makers marks??

No, no markings at at all. The small fins for the incendiary bombs also lacked any markings though others I've seen had only ink stamped proofs.

Joerg.......nice photos. Since finding this piece I've been looking for good images of these tubes and they seem pretty hard to find. Your photos really help.

Rick

Now THAT is interesting. Did the British experiment with bomb whistles as well? Never heard of that before.

I have an excellent reference/history/modellers guide book on RAAF and RNZAF use of the P-51 Mustang, 'Southern Cross Mustangs' by David Muir.
In the 'things under wings' section it has mention of the use of salvaged Stuka noise makers fitted to the RAAF P-40s in the desert.
A later version,called a 'screamer' was made up by the squadron engineers and fitted to the P-51.This resembled a large 'Penny whistle' and was mounted under the wing tips of a few of their aircraft.
Pity the foe who are being attacked by screaming Australians....;)

Bob