What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 booby trap ignitors

kiwieod

recently got this very nice and quite rare packet of 303 cases for the Australian murray switch(boobytrap).packet is aussie made as well.does anybody know where the name murray came from,designer of switch,place where it was made perhaps?

Attachments

• P1020552.JPG
    P1020552.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 127
Hi,

There are two versions of the packets for the Murray Switch, however, they are one and the same capped case with the T slot in the case neck. I believe they were also issued with a special set of pliers to crimp the case onto the detonator cord.

The majority of the cases are unheadstamped, although at time are found with normal ball headstamps..303 Murray Switch Booby Trap.jpg

Cheers

John

Murray Switch Mk. 1.jpg

Shown is the Mark 1 version, a later slightly different version was the Mk. 2. On my example there are no identifying marks at all.
According to the Australian War Memorial these were manufactured in Victoria, Australia. If that was the case, the diecast body could possibly have been produced by Diecasters Limited. But that is only my guess.
This company also manufactured .303 Diecast Drill rounds, and parts for the Austen submachine gun.

thanks for that info.who is the maker on your packet?mine is MG,do you know the headstamp on the cartridges that have it?also I have an original box for the murray switch,it is marked STB,do you know who this was?
thanks

Sorry, I only have the photo of the packet, but will try to find out which facility produced them (for a couple of reasons this could take some months). It would be only MF or MG, and will either have no headstamp, or most likely a Mk VII ball headstamp.

I've never seen a box for the Murray switch, so would love to see photos. STB is also new to me, so will need some research. The problem here is that the diecasting would most likely be done by one factory, and the metal work at another.

Cheers John

heres some photos of mine.box is heavily waxed and would have been completely sealed when issued.also shown is the original instructions which came with switch inside box.

Attachments

• P1020638.JPG
    P1020638.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020639.JPG
    P1020639.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 36
  • P1020640.JPG
    P1020640.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 39
  • P1020641.JPG
    P1020641.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1020642.JPG
    P1020642.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 29
having a guess at S.T.B.,along the lines of how the British military term things, SWITCH-TRAP-BOOBY...for the use of ?

kiwieod,
Thank you so much for the photos and instructions. I am really pleased to be able to add this information to my research on Aust. Military items.

smle2009,

Your hunch may well be correct, it certainly makes sense, particularly with the (Aust). This designation was used on some cartridge variations which were local variations, such as the Grenade Cartridge H Mk. IV (Aust.) Still I would like to be sure, in case it was a manufacturer.