What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Sd2 Butterfly Bombs dropped on Grimsby???

Rockteer

Please see below this link which suggests that Sd2's had been used in Surrey prior to the famous Grimsby raid on the 14th June 1943.

http://www.royalengineersbombdisposal-eod.org.uk/6_march_1943.html

I may be wrong but most us of us believe the first use of these nasty little fxckers on the UK was on Grimsby.

So it raises the question in my mind when and where was the first recorded Sd2 dropped in the UK. Have also heard Essex was hit with Sd2's as well.

Please see below this link which suggests that Sd2's had been used in Surrey prior to the famous Grimsby raid on the 14th June 1943.

http://www.royalengineersbombdisposal-eod.org.uk/6_march_1943.html

I may be wrong but most us of us believe the first use of these nasty little fxckers on the UK was on Grimsby.

So it raises the question in my mind when and where was the first recorded Sd2 dropped in the UK. Have also heard Essex was hit with Sd2's as well.

The first recorded use of SD2's in the UK was in October 1940, a small number were dropped on the town of Ipswich and also Raf Wattisham.
The reason that Grimsby is so famous was that it was the only raid where SD2's were used in significant numbers - over 3,000 were dropped on Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Great Coates, virtually paralysing the town. No reports of the raid were made at the time apart from a brief reference to 'a raid on an East Coast town' and the effects were kept silent. Wether the Germans got to know how effective the raid was is uncertain, however for whatever reason no similar raid was carried out on any other town/city in the UK.
Since its first use back in 1940 armed with only the type 41 fuze (airburst/impact) the SD2 had been modified and by the end of 1942 two new fuzes had been developed the 67 (clockwork delay) and the 70B (anti-disturbance) - these were used on a raid for the first time in Essex but were ineffective to some degree as most dropped in rural areas, the use of these two fuzes combined with the type 41 on Grimsby had a totally different effect. Perhaps due to secrecy during the war, or perhaps more due to the fact that larger more deadly weapons were being used more frequently, the use of the SD2 appears to have been of little concern, until that is the Grimsby raid. The effectiveness there, not perhaps so much in the number of casualties as to the fact that it basically sealed off the town for a week or thereabouts, brought this weapon to the attention of everyone. That is why the Grimsby raid has become infamous.

There were many uses of the SD2 from its first use in Oct 1940 right through until late in the war, but you dont hear about them as it may simply be a container or two being dropped.
You also have to consider in wartime that there were many weapons being used, and being used more frequently than the SD2's. Grimbsy woke the authorities up to the possibility of more widespread use in greater numbers and the effects it would have. Posters, leaflets, signs, and even films were made to warn the public of their danger and for the first time people became aware of this 'new' weapon - it was in fact used over two an a half years before the Grimsby raid.......it is simply not common knowledge - even today!!

I hope this helps?
regards Kev

Last edited:
Below are some 'snapshots' of paperwork I have relating to these early raids on Ipswich and Wattisham. I apologise for taking only part photos of them, however if one day I do eventually get around to writing a book on the subject then I do need to retain some 'new or interesting' material to include - or it simply will not be worth the efffort!! Unfortunately days are only 24 hours long and they appear to get shorter the longer I live?

Anyway back to events of October 1940.

It was the 27th October 1940 when a single Donier 17 flew low across Southern Ipswich, the time was just before 6.30 pm. At the time the SD2's were held in internal racks withing the Do17, each rack could hold 90 SD2 and there was a maximum of four racks - this would give the total number dropped at a maximum of 360 SD2, but wether all the racks were used remains unclear. The SD2's would have been fuzed only with the type 41 fuzes armed either for airburst or impact, however subsequent reports showed that not all of them exploded, which may suggest that some of the fuzes although armed did not function or that the aircraft was below the height for arming them fully - although as found out later in the war the unexploded type 41 fuzed SD2's were very sensitive and acted very much like the later type 70B fuze, any slight touch could set them off. There were a number of casualties resulting from this first raid, no doubt from people who were curious about these strange objects. One particularily sad case was the following day the 28th October, at Ransomes some workers were examining just such an SD2 when it exploded killing six people instantly.
It was on the 28th that the alert went out to all controllers in the Eastern region about this new weapon....

On the 29th October at dusk, three bombers flew low over RAF Wattisham, they dropped 20 high explosive bombs causing damage to a hanger as well as the airfield. It was not until the next day that the SD2's were discoverd littering the airfield. Two men died directly from the SD2's before action could be taken and the bombs dealt with.

I believe that this first attack on an RAF airfield at Wattisham was a deliberate trial for what was to come later in June 1941. This time it would not be the UK but Russia that would feel the full force of this relatively new weapon. The prelude to Operation Barbarossa, Luftwaffe aircraft attacked the Soviet airfields the SD2 being used en-masse. Before the Russians realised what was happening the Luftwaffe aircraft flew in low releasing its deadly loads across the neatly parked aircraft, over 1,200 Russian aircraft were destroyed during these inital attacks, many directly accountable to the use of the SD2.

below are some images of items relating to the days following the raid on Ipswich and Wattisham, these would have been the first anyone in the Uk would have heard of this new weapon.

- the first three photos show various warnings relating to the new weapon, each have a basic drawing of the new small anti-personnel bomb.

- the target photos/maps of Wattisham consist of four seperate items which give details of the Raf airfield. Note, in the information there is direct reference to the raid on the 29th October and the damage caused. (this was the raid that the SD2's were dropped)

Kev

PB290733.jpgPB290734.jpgPB290735.jpgPB290736.jpgPB290737.jpg

Just shows how lethal these "Butterflies" were, six people killed in one go. Very sad indeed.

Just shows how lethal these "Butterflies" were, six people killed in one go. Very sad indeed.

Yes Pete they were certainly lethal and this is one very sad example of just how much so. Yet I have also read accounts where they have exploded very close to someone and they walked away unscathed, I think much depended on circumstances and of course 'lady luck'. Usually though it was the former rather than latter.

Kev

Thank you butterfly for the very detailed reply, didn't know about the 1940 raid but explains why one of my cases in my collection is dated 1940. Imagine if these were used on the fighter stations in the Battle of Britain!

Thank you butterfly for the very detailed reply, didn't know about the 1940 raid but explains why one of my cases in my collection is dated 1940. Imagine if these were used on the fighter stations in the Battle of Britain!

The SD2 was primarily designed to be used against airfields as initially they could only be dropped from low level flight.

Later in the war they caused havoc on the Bomber Command airfields. Individual Luftwaffe aircraft would infiltrate the RAF Bombers returning to their base following a night raid. The RAF bombers lead them right back to the airfields at which point the Luftwaffe aircraft would drop a few cannisters of SD2 across the base. This happened on quite a few RAF and USAAF bases during 1943/1944 period.

Kev

Dan, would love to see a photograph of your 1940 Dated SD2 case.

regards Kev

I believe they were dropped in greater numbers than there is documentary evidence for, also there Nasty little brother the SD1,
I've quite recently saw an SD2 with the time fuze hanging in an outhouse to rear of a property in Bethnal Green, East London, the guy who has it swears his dad brought it home one morning after a local air raid. I advised him to get it checked out, the clips holding fuze into bomb don't look like they've ever been removed, the wings are green with yellow stripes, though it has a lot of surface rust due to it hanging up on wall of a Kazi by a piece of twine for 70+ years.
i purchased a real good 1 kilo incendiary 3 20mm cases and some great pieces of exploded bomb casing. (Not Shrapnell) the incendiary is 43 dated and inert although the AZ13 fuze is intact and up fired (completely free from Explosives) he remembers finding it with 3 sets of fins ( have those too) on way to school in 43 when the Luftwaffe turned there attention back onto London in what became known as the mini blitz, he said the Butterfly Bomb (SD2) was found around same time. hopefully the SD2 is inert, if it is I'll have it next week and post some pics.
Interestingly he said the tin tails of the 1kilo incendiary bombs made great desk pencil holders at school and that all the kids had them and traded in various metal objects found after the raids.

Last edited:
I believe they were dropped in greater numbers than there is documentary evidence for, also there Nasty little brother the SD1,
I've quite recently saw an SD2 with the time fuze hanging in an outhouse to rear of a property in Bethnal Green, East London, the guy who has it swears his dad brought it home one morning after a local air raid. I advised him to get it checked out, the clips holding fuze into bomb don't look like they've ever been removed, the wings are green with yellow stripes, though it has a lot of surface rust due to it hanging up on wall of a Kazi by a piece of twine for 70+ years.
i purchased a real good 1 kilo incendiary 3 20mm cases and some great pieces of exploded bomb casing. (Not Shrapnell) the incendiary is 43 dated and inert although the AZ13 fuze is intact and up fired (completely free from Explosives) he remembers finding it with 3 sets of fins ( have those too) on way to school in 43 when the Luftwaffe turned there attention back onto London in what became known as the mini blitz, he said the Butterfly Bomb (SD2) was found around same time. hopefully the SD2 is inert, if it is I'll have it next week and post some pics.
Interestingly he said the tin tails of the 1kilo incendiary bombs made great desk pencil holders at school and that all the kids had them and traded in various metal objects found after the raids.

First of all thanks Scott for an interesting post.
I can confirm that SD2's were dropped on parts of London in March 1943 but certainly not in large numbers.

What you have written certainly does give me cause for concern though.

my advice, as you have done, get the chap to get it checked out by the experts.

regards Kev

Here you go Kev, not easy to see in the photo but appears to be 40 stamped.

Attachments

• sd2 1940 case.jpg
    sd2 1940 case.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi Dan thanks for the photo, very nice indeed!!

Thats definately a 1940 date, it also looks in very good condition well done nice find, I have only ever seen a couple dated as such.
Although the first raid on the UK took place in October 1940 these things would have been manufactured for at least several months before use. As a matter of interest the manufacturer cma was based in Poland, so this goes to show just how soon production started on these.
By far the greatest number of bodies I see are dated 1941, but perhaps this is due to the fact that they were produced in vast numbers for the invasion of Russia in June of that year.

What is interesting is that it appears that this was designed as an 'offensive' weapon and during the time period 1940/41 that is in fact what Germany was doing.......offensive on pretty much all fronts. Only later was it redesigned to become more of a 'defensive' weapon. Indeed if you look at the reports in the UK, most of the recorded incidents are from 1943 onwards. The weapon was used far more than most people give credit for, Scott is quite right in what he said earlier in this thread, its simply that many of the localised raids were just not recorded, at least not on a national level.

kind regards Kev

Last edited: