What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze for ID Please

dave8472

Hi all, was given this yesterday, now all cleaned up, but can't seem to work out what it is, I thought a 3" Mortar ? but now not sure

Numbers on it are L5 (small 1next to it) 137 5/16 R L (for Royal Laboratory) P

The timing ring goes up to T44, it is quite large, top is 41mm threaded bottom is 57mm

Thanks for any help, 5/16 might be the date, found in Kent

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 59
Hum, let me think on a Time & Percussion No 62 Mk II without the upper bolt !

Yoda

The last lot of No 62s were issued late 1914.

The fuse date is 5/16, it would definitely be a No 65 variation:

1) "No 65" > conversion of either No 56, No 57 or No 60 - normally these can be quite easily identified as the previous dates and Mks are "cross out" (stamped)
2) "No 65A" > new manufacture
3) "No 65S" > As for (2) above however with a weakened shear wire to allow arming at lower velocity.

Also your example is missing the hex tightening nut, which normally had a "No 65" stamped on top.

If you search the website you will come across some of my old posts and pics.
Cheers
Drew

Lucky man, Dave. I'm not aware of anything like that near to where I live.

Thanks for your kind words and additional info, it has now prime spot as my most interesting fuze ! I get to see a lot of items as most in my club either don't want them or ask for help, first one I have ever seen and glad it is now in my collection. New picture below

Dave

0027.jpg