What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortar ID help

Sometimes this system is picky on the photo format. Try opening with a separate program and then re-saving - under options when you re-save see if you are allowed to re-save under a different format. This system does not like TIFF, sometimes PNG - I always convert first to JPEG. JPEG is also a small size format which the system seems to like a little better.

British 4,2'' (107mm) HE Mk1 if I am not mistaken.
Bob

Last edited:
First: Thank you!
(That was fast! What kind of library do you have?)

2nd
I'm guessing TNT as the filler.
Any ideas on what the filler type/weight was/is?

Last edited:
Hi E-tech,
my library is about 150Gb of everyday study, sorting, and also thanks to bocn members, steadily expanding :)
+ some 20 meters of books in the real library.

Thanks to Mr Bélot I can add that the mortar was filled with amatol 80/20 with a little of cast TNT and tetryl gaine (21,25g) total explosive weight about 1266g.

Bob

150Gb? Cool! Send it: I'm ready. (kidding! Not really- I had to leave my library in storage when I moved here to Germany- I miss it. Wanna trade?)

Amatol 80/20? 1266 grams?
That is curious.
Anyone have a blast/frag radius calculator? Because the Wikipedia article mentions an affected area of 60 yards by 100 yards. That seems a bit large for a 1.2 kilo
charge at waist height, in cast iron, with some (unspecified) frag thrown around it, doesn't it?

Nevertheless, it happened. I kinda consider it an "EOD job" to record (for posterity) any details we can find about a bombing. It might help with defensive measures later on.

My thanks to all who have helped, and who can find more to help in my research!

"Rise From Your Grave!"
The intro from "Altered Beast" seemed appropriate, given the lateness of my question.
Does anyone have an x-ray/cross section/ or other (to scale) diagram of this 4-duece, MK1's
internals?
I'm also interested in any metallurgical info any one has on it.

I have become increasingly interested in how certain metals are chosen for ordnance purposes.
Any help/info/pubs would be appreciated....

Last edited: