What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Brit "DA CѦ 11/2/16 Mark II" label question

sksvlad

This bundle contains 1912 through 1914 re-worked cartridges. I removed the binding rope for better picture taking. What is the square symbol in the right lower corner?
2015_12100004.jpg2015_12100002.JPG
.303 brit DA C 1912 VII Gallery Practice.jpg

Last edited:
The red square is the Pictorial design for Gallery Rounds. All SAA packages had a design that was easily recognisable by people who couldn't read English. Early Ball had a Red grid, later changed to Green, over stamped with the Mark of ball used, Blank was a red grid on a Blue background. 1" Aiming rifle had an Ace of Diamonds or Ace of Hearts. .455 Auto had a plimsoll. And the list goes on.....

Lovely packet by the way. Don't loose the string....

Cheers
Gary

The red square is the Pictorial design for Gallery Rounds. All SAA packages had a design that was easily recognisable by people who couldn't read English. Early Ball had a Red grid, later changed to Green, over stamped with the Mark of ball used, Blank was a red grid on a Blue background. 1" Aiming rifle had an Ace of Diamonds or Ace of Hearts. .455 Auto had a plimsoll. And the list goes on.....

Lovely packet by the way. Don't loose the string....

Cheers
Gary

Do you have the list or know where I can locate it?

Not so much a list, but there are examples posted in this section of the forum in Sept 2009 by "poltewerke". The late TonyE also contributed some. There was also quite a number of wrap around labels shown, I believe from a New Zealand member?, also from about that time. Just search with 'label' or similar and see what turns up.
Les

Here are some label colours and symbols.
The first from 1902 and the rest WWII.

Attachments

• SAA pack markings at 1902.jpg
    SAA pack markings at 1902.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 27
  • SAA labels at WWII.jpg
    SAA labels at WWII.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 26
  • SAA pack mkgs at WWII - 2.jpg
    SAA pack mkgs at WWII - 2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 21
Pictorial examples of some labels

Here are some examples of some labels with their serial numbers and a bonus of some for signal cartridges.

Attachments

• saa + sig cart labels.jpg
    saa + sig cart labels.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 30
If the original purpose of the symbols was to make illiterate people recognize various loads (since they couldn't read English), it would be easier (at least for me) to learn to read rather than memorize this variety of shapes and colours.

I believe this was more for the benefit of the 'native workforce' (I forget the correct terminology) who assisted in the movement of stores. When unloading a vessel they just had to stack the ammunition with the same symbol in the same point. In most cases there wasn't time to teach them English, let alone read and write.

TimG

Last edited: