What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" naval HE projectile

I'm restoring a 4.5" naval HE projectile , I'm wondering if anyone here can help me identify what typeface I need to fuse for the ink markings / stencilling ? I guess this is the best place to ask

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 80
Hi may be able to help you

! What marking are on the bottom of the case?

2 Shell marking are in Golden Yellow 1" I think eg Size of Shell 4.5 Then type of filling RDX TNT Filling station GD (ROF Glascoed). Also a 2" Golden Yellow Hazard Band

3 It was fitted with a N97 Fuse .

Hope this info helps

Steve EX RNAD Trecwn

PS Its been over 20 years since I worked on this type of Rounds so markings my have changed

Hi,
I only have this picture to hand as my round is wrapped up in storage, but this should give you some idea. I will try and get a better picture for you if i have a chance.
Best regards Weasel.

BIFJWN6CcAESdw7.jpg

:-S Been looking for a projectile to fit inside my unfired Mk8 shell. Starshell or HE markings preferred, but cannot for love nor money find one. Can you guys point me in the direction of where I could pick one up?

Last edited:
different types of 4.5in can be found here in new Zealand,if you want to ship it that far!we have HE,star,radar echo,practice projectiles that come up for sale now and then

:-S Been looking for a projectile to fit inside my unfired Mk8 shell. Starshell or HE markings preferred, but cannot for love nor money find one. Can you guys point me in the direction of where I could pick one up?

Thanks, could you do me a favour and check how much it would cost to send 24Kg to UK. Time doesnt matter, slowest and cheapest is OK. Ive done a quick online check and its looking at around £200?

Are the MK.3-5 Gun Projectiles the same as the MK.8?, the pics above seem to show a more streamlined profile.
All that i have seen in NZ are the MK.3-5 type projectile as used on the RNZN Leander class frigates.
I was looking at shipping a proj. from NZ to Australia a couple of years ago,i think then it was about NZ$250. So it is still here,in my 'stuff i don't really collect' collection! ;)