What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr naval 1916 anti airship

womble

Hi all I wonder if anyone could help I have a 1916 2 pdr naval anti airship round (please see pics) and was wondering does the standard 157mm short case fit this or was it a different case.

looking forward to any info/help
DSC_0099.jpgDSC_0100.jpg
Cheers

Womble

Hi all I wonder if anyone could help I have a 1916 2 pdr naval anti airship round (please see pics) and was wondering does the standard 157mm short case fit this or was it a different case.

looking forward to any info/help
View attachment 115220View attachment 115221
Cheers

Womble

Nice projectile.
Old stuff isn't my area of knowledge but I think its probably a 2 pounder Davis gun projectile. I'm sure one of the WW1 experts can confirm.
The case for it is shown on post 4 of this link.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/76703-2-Pdr-Davis-case?highlight=davies+gun
Dave.

Very interesting projectile Womble.
I was intrigued by this one myself and couldnt find any information, so thanks Dave for the link.

my only fear is that to get such a case will be a very difficult task, however if you did what a superb round that would be!!

thanks for showing

Kev

Hi Womble,

Is there any stamping visible on the other side of the projectile to that shown in the photo, and if so, what is it, please?

Roger.

Hi chaps many thanks for the replies (SG500,butterfly and ydnum303), with regards to any other markings there is 22 9 16 with a capital B above the 6 and at the bottom a large 9 with a dot (9.).

Cheers

WombleDSC_0104.jpg

I have a late 1800's German Naval 37mm with similar arrow marking and always wondering what the arrow was about.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 46
On german shells the arrow means that it is inert filled. In case of the 37 mm shell it was originally closed with a zinc plug, the fuze belongs to a live shell.

I guess the arrow on the british shell is the usual broad arrow...

On german shells the arrow means that it is inert filled. In case of the 37 mm shell it was originally closed with a zinc plug, the fuze belongs to a live shell.

I guess the arrow on the british shell is the usual broad arrow...
Thanks for the info.