What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea mine markings

~dan~

Hello all

my first post on the forum so here goes.... Merry Christmas by the way.

i have purchased what I believe to be 2 sea mines (last winter-just getting round to them) at least that's what they were advertised as and they look the part. Unfortunately I haven't got an image to share as they are at a workshop nearby, reason being, I intend to restore/up cycle them into 2 chairs. Before anyone faints, the mines are in pretty poor condition and have already at some point in the past been cut into (bottom third removed) so there will be minimal cutting needed as its done already.

my plan is to have short legs welded on to achieve correct height, then treat the metal before re spraying and applying correct markings/legends.

I think these are WW2 type H mk2 or if not then very similar visually. (I will post images when I'm next at the workshop)

now on to the point of the thread..... Apart from opinions on what they are, does anybody know what colour they would have been? I'm thinking about Matt battleship grey. Opinions? Also, what colour is the light coloured band on the mine and the lettering? I intend making the mines faithful to their original specifications without going too obsessive. (My wife can't wait for one to arrive in our living room)!

thanks

dan

dan, welcome to bocn and Merry Christmas to you too.

Without photos I doubt it is possible to comment on the type of mine you have, so images would be good when you can.
Markings would also be relevent to the type of mine, so identification would be necessary first.

good luck with your project......here are some images that are on the net to inspire you... http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2012/04/25/mine-furniture/

I'm sure there has been other posts relating to this kind of furniture in the past.
All I can say is that you must have a very understanding wife!!

regards Kev

Thanks for the welcome. I will post images as soon as I can. I guess part of my original question still stands- what colour were sea mines?

Thanks also for for posting the link to the mine furniture, I have huge regard for what he has created, I think I will prefer them painted as opposed to his 'steampunk' look of remaining rusty but each to their own. Plus I'm keeping mine.

image to follow but it won't be for a few days. Cheers