What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannon balls !!!!!!

Slick

Adding these two brings my total cannon balls to 3. And not all that sure the first one is really even a cannon ball. Anyway, here's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

These are in a "dug" condition. They were turned in to LE about 20 years ago, along with assorted other bits of old ordnance.
IMG_1448.jpg

The left one weighs 26lb 7oz.
Right one is 25lb 6oz.
Both are near 6" Dia.
Solid iron.

All of the items were placed in a pit and "safing" charges attached. And then everything was "safed". Spectacularly, I'm sure. Which knocked a chunk out of one of them.

IMG_1449.jpg

They had apparently spent a long time in the ground as evidenced by their pitting.

IMG_1451.jpg

No definitive history, although they were originally turned in to a New Orleans agency. Most likely found in that area. Which has been fought over since its founding. So lots of those sorts of things in and around.

Have perused the intrawebs for info, but their degraded condition leaves me only guessing. Right now I'm going with 32pdr.