What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 / M83 - could this be the 'missing link' ?

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I have long wondered how the American M83, which began as an almost identical copy of the German SD2 went on to have its wings made completely from stamped steel? I assumed it was natural progression, as with most things, speeding up manufacture process etc. However then I happened upon some design drawings of the M83 and this theory went straight out of the window, as it appears that the stamped steel version was being produced alongside the almost 'identical copy'. So what led the US to go down the stamped steel manufacture route at such an early stage........

.....maybe this is the answer?

Stamped steel SD2 wings. To date the only example I have seen. No photos, no records - nothing. Just this set of wings.

so could it then be down to a particular manufacturer ? - well I have seen other wings produced by this same manufacturer in the standard form, of which I have an example (see last image)

I'm afraid I cannot give any information on these, only show the photos and share my thoughts.

Kev

(if you suspect you have seen a photo, or have information relating to these wings I would love to hear from you)

PC290782.JPGPC290783.JPGPC290784.JPGPC290785.JPGPC290786.JPGPC290787.JPGPC290788.JPGPC290789.JPGz1.JPGz2.JPG

Last edited:
Another one.

As with the one above, both end wings are stamped, with the stamps pushed outwards from the inside.

Dave.

IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1617.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1620.jpgIMG_1621.jpgIMG_1622.jpg

The Americans were master's at stamping manufacturing, just look at the M3 grease gun as an example, two half stamped and welded together. The Germans were quite efficient in some of their designs, I am sure the Americans would have found a cheaper solution to manufacture a SD2 but couldn't strive further.