What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unkown canister shell?

JohnR

Hello everyone

I found this strange 37mm projectile sitting on a german 37mm casing from 1898. The projectile is closed from al sides, it is very heavy but certainly not solid as when i shake it, i seem to hear shot shaking around. Anyone have seen something like this before? is it a canister, is it save? is it indeed german?
All info much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
IMG_9397.JPGIMG_9399.JPGIMG_9400.JPGIMG_9401.JPGIMG_9402.JPGIMG_9403.JPG

Kind regards

John

Yes, it is German and cannister. Not common, used in Hotchkiss revolver to sweep ditches in fortresses. Nice find.

Thank you, it is my first canister so far. So it only contains lead balls, and no unsafe matter?
Most canisters i have seen were empty and had a way to access the interior from below, this one is sealed. I presume it is best to leave it in this configuration?

Yes, the value of a filled projectile is much greater than an empty. And a lot of canister projectiles were opened for the lead which seems to be more valuable in those times.

Very nice,yes German,I have a copper casing version of this.
Wish it was mine,there not easy to find.