What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18pdr questions

18pdr questions PICS ADDED

i have an 18pdr which is a lot different then any i have seen posted it seems to be HE but Im really not sure
on the body it is marked
Q.F.18pr
roman numeral 2
F.S
U.T.S.co if you can help me out with this maker that would be great
19 10 15
SN
there is a number stamped near the top 6718 with a C broadarrow

what is really strange to me is that it looks like it has a one piece machined body with a steel fuze which really seems to be part of the machined projectile there is a stricker/plunger at the tip ..there are no settings on the steel fuse .

im used to seeing these shells with the brass fuze i have never seen one with a steel fuze/plunger set up

one last thing what colour would this be painted i would like to re paint the correct colours ..

Thank You
Mark

Last edited:
Hello Mark,

Are you able to post some photos of the steel fuze, overall shape etc?

Thanks

Hello,

According to my doc 18Pr MkII (earlier) could be fuzed with No100 (gaine No1)

18pr mk2 and mk3.jpg

there are no markings on the fuze at all which is why i thought it may be just some sort of percussion fuze ....i am no expert at all on these things i just know i have seen a lot of 18 pr shells and this one is the first I've seen like this

It could well be a no 100 Mk II B which were made in steel but that is a very uncommon fuze. Another fuze made in steel and found more often is the no 103, but this normally has a ridge cut into the top cap, and the threads are half the depth of the other series 100 fuzes. Also there is no locking screw for the cap on that one.

D

Last edited:
Thank you Minenaz16. I had always thought the No. 100, due to it's poor performance, didn't stay in service long enough for it to be mentioned. However, notwithstanding it's failings and that it was designed, tried and approved in only ten days it survived from 1915 to 1921. That said, it appears substantial quantities were converted to No. 102 and No. 103 fuzes.

To complete matters further another publication shows the HE shell using the No. 100, 101, 101E, 102 or 103 fuzes.

TimG

100.jpg