What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Help on 37mm shell (marked 1912) and case (marked 1.457 Subcal Gun 1913)

bigearns

I inherited a group of munitions from my grandfather, who was Sergeant in the US Army from 1917 to 1933. I found this 37mm shell and case and respectfully request some help in identifying it to learn more. I'd also like to understand if there is potential that the shell may still contain high explosive.

Attachments

• DSCN3056.jpg
    DSCN3056.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3057.jpg
    DSCN3057.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3058.jpg
    DSCN3058.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3059.jpg
    DSCN3059.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3060.jpg
    DSCN3060.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3061.jpg
    DSCN3061.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3062.jpg
    DSCN3062.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3063.jpg
    DSCN3063.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3064.jpg
    DSCN3064.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 49
One never knows if it is dangerous unless you can see inside of the projectile. This model usually is found empty with a solid fuze plug, but they were also issued with point detonating fuzes. So I would treat it as loaded until determined, by inspection, that there is nothing in side. Sometimes they are loaded with sand for practice. They are usually stamped BL, for blind load.

I inherited a group of munitions from my grandfather, who was Sergeant in the US Army from 1917 to 1933. I found this 37mm shell and case and respectfully request some help in identifying it to learn more. I'd also like to understand if there is potential that the shell may still contain high explosive.

Hello,

Nice round, could you give the lenght of projectile please ?

Regards

You have the U.S. Army version of the Navy T-MKV subcal round. The Army adopted this first how ever before the Navy. In the
beginning these were made to use a fuze for land firing but it seems the spotting charge was perhaps too small
and these were then used plugged with a non removable tip like yours ( sometimes they are loose but the projectile is always hollow. The PDfuze will be marked and have obvious wrench slots - I have never seen one or know of one ), and then used by coastal artillery over water. The casing is particular to the Army and also holds the 1.7pr subcalibre projectile for land practice. These were used in an internal fitting barrel tube. The cases were used over and over and 1918 cases also show up loaded for the Airacobra cannon loadings, the case being the same as ww2 made MKlllA2 cases.
Early issue projectiles have wood shaving fill with a removable plug, painted black, adopted in 1908.

Last edited: