What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm/1Pdr Projectile Identification

oldshotandshell

37mm/1Pdr Projectile Identification Request

Could somebody please identify this 37mm/1Pdr projectile? Country and period would be great! Thank you.

P1010247.jpgP1010249.jpg

Last edited:
I would go for Austria-Hungarian, based on the typical band. Period 1900-1918.

Looks sort of short for an Austrian. The distance between the upper and lower band is shorter. The lower band has 2 grooves versus one in the Austrian. I am still looking. my guess it is some export from a major maker for a smaller country. There quite of few mysteries in this area.

I wonder if the driving band has it's original shape because it looks very flat.

From it's overall condition, maybe it was fired and someone turned it down to remove the rifling grooves to "up grade" it?

Nope, not turned down, it is unfired. Can't find it in either of Mellichamp's books. I emailed Robert about it some time back but, unfortunately, never got a reply.

I have checked all my references and 150-160 examples in my collection and have not found a match. The answer may come up in the future, we can hope.

I haven't seen that band configuration either ?

The upper band and spacing are perhaps suggestive of a German origin,
so perhaps a Gruson commercial variation.

Last edited: