What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firing 81mm mortar to be banned on H&S grounds

It's no good all you lot getting out your prams about this War is dangerous and it needs to stop like every thing else in the UK every day a little is taken away and after 10 years we say what's happened here and it's too late.... best thing is I have had my fun so f#%/ them all

Are they going to ban the enemy from using incoming rounds with louder explosions? Maybe be put some sort of muffler around the shell which would make it more silent and add more fragments? Lets play nice.?

It's no good all you lot getting out your prams about this War is dangerous and it needs to stop like every thing else in the UK every day a little is taken away and after 10 years we say what's happened here and it's too late.... best thing is I have had my fun so f#%/ them all

What you have said is 100% correct, the EU backed by the leftie brigade are secretly taking and introducing little by little laws and legislation that our weak and spineless government are accepting that are sneaked in without you even knowing that it's come into effect. One day you have a bought a perfectly legal item in good faith the next day you are made a criminal because it's suddenly banned and made illegal. They say our enemy is ISIS but our real enemy is the far left PC loonies backed by the EU who have influence in government local council and the media who have caused more damage to our societies and culture in the west with their leftist ideologies and viciousness and lies. Terrorism can throw all the sticks and stones they wish to throw at us but constructive destruction of the common man's society and culture from treasonous traitors within endorsed by government is far more destructive than any bomb or bullet. I only hope that the common man of Europe wakes up to see the bigger picture of what is happening to them and to act.

I have observed a British Army presentation on this issue, and also a US Army one on steps they are taking to minimise the problem - so it has little to do with EU legislation, rather more to do with concerns that the military will be faced by major legal class actions due to the hearing loss suffered by the troops. In the past this would just have been shrugged off, but we live in a different world now, one dominated by lawyers!

The best hearing protection available is not enough to cope with the intensity of the muzzle blast from mortars using high propellant charges - the decibel level is still far too high to avoid long-term damage.

The problem of course occurs in training - in combat they would use whatever they had to.

Yes they are loud and forget about hearing anything for the rest of the day if you 'forgot' to put on your ear defenders....which they made us do even back in the 80's!

Tony

When we (the ROF's) sold the L16 81mm mortar to the US this was seen as a problem then and so we developed the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) which was located and clamped over the muzzle swell. This was a cone shaped extension which controlled the expansion of the gases on exit which reduced the blast over-pressure for the crew. It was type classified in the US as the M252. They later incorporated some of their own parts in the system and created the M252A1 and M252A2 variants.

Interestingly enough a similar result was obtained when some development trials were undertaken to increase the effective range of the 81mm system by utilising a barrel extension of about 18 inches, but this brought its own problems and wasn't continued.

I don't think I should say how we increased the effective range of the 81mm....but it did involve flammable liquid 'borrowed' from a one tonne Landrover!