What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1896 Austrian 122mm case?

Vasco Da Gama

I have had this case in the collection for some time and I would appreciate a positive identification. Information on early Austrian ammunition is difficult to find in English! The case was made in Berndorf and is dated 1896, rim diameter of 140mm, length of 104mm and a mouth diameter of 127mm. I can find no evidence that the case has been cut and the metal is very thin at the mouth. Did the Austrian Army have a 122mm gun? Pictured against the 10cm howitzer case for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 102
According my references an unknown 12 cm Austrian gun. I have had the same case and year in my colection. It is of original size.

Very many thanks, it is always reassuring to know that another case exists! I don't have many reference documents that cover early Austrian artillery.

The case has an export headstamp, it can be for some Krupp or Skoda exported howitzers too. It must not have been used in austro-hungarian empire. As it was separate ammunition the case mouth diameter can be much larger than the calibre. The problem for an identification is that there were a lot of Krupp 12 cm howitzers in this time and we have nearly no documents about any of them.

The Metallwarenfabrik Berndorf belonged to the Krupp group and was headed by Hermann Krupp (later by his son Arthur Krupp) a brother of Alfred Krupp who was leading the Fried. Krupp AG. That's why they got many contracts to produce cases for Krupp guns.

Last edited:
There were models M61, M80. M96 in AH use in the late 1800's. Also, Italy had some 120s .But as it is marked for export, it could have been any small country in the Balkans or South America. Well, we know they made at east 2 rounds!

I got my case from the UK, I wonder where the topic starter found his case.

Very many thanks gentlemen, as always great input and plenty of food for thought. This case turned up in Lancashire, so we have 2 cases in the UK from potentially a Krupp 120mm howitzer made for export in Austria in 1896. Does this not point towards souvenirs from the South African War (Boer War 1899-1902)? A quick check indicates the Boer's used 120mm Krupp guns but there is confusion over bag-charge or cased ammunition. I suspect both may have been used depending on what could be bought from the arms market. A nice big brass case has always been a favourite souvenir!

I never knew of the connection between Krupp and Berndorf, pictured below is the base of a 75x277 case which supports this connection!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 68
Hello,
I agree with alpini, his guess it's the most logical.The absence of acceptance stamps point out to an export stuff.

AH tested a 12cm mod 1907 Erhardt L/13 and L/15,5 but the case is too early for these gun.

Finally, Skoda made a 12cm Gebirgsmorser here the only docs I have. I don't have any other reference about thsi mountain mortar
IMG_20160103_0001.jpg IMG_20160103_0002.jpg

best regards

Question to Vasco Da Gama: does any of the Austro-Hungarion primers have a small "B" in one of the 3 primer pockets?

Hi Hoeksel, I assume you mean any marking inside the wells used to screw in the primer. The primer is too well set to take out without damage, cost me my toothbrush trying to clean them up! I was due a new one anyway! No sign of any marks in the 3 wells, hope that helps.

Hi, indeed! So thanks for trying. Has to do with a strange 12 cm case I have where I cannot seem to identify it (see separate thread on the forum).