What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sources for Replica WW2 Projectiles

I have a few German Pak 38 50mm cases without projectiles, so I decided to make a few 50mm Pzgr 39 AP projectiles out of black plastic. I will be putting one out on GunBroker today also.

Attachments

• black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 4.jpg
    black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 4.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 51
  • black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 3.jpg
    black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 3.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 47
  • black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 2.jpg
    black plastic 50mm German AP for sale 2.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 60
  • black plastic 50mm German AP for sale.jpg
    black plastic 50mm German AP for sale.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 75
Hola Jeff w
Conoces: https://www.milcorem.fr/ ?
Exelentes reproducciones en Resina y tambien los "pochoir" para poner letras despues de pintar todo en buena calidad y precio.
Saludos

Last edited:
Hello Jeff - I did make them on the lathe since they require a minimum of material removal when you start with a 2 inch round bar, and the nose is just a plain taper vs. a ballistic tip. Plus, I have a lot of extra Pak 38 cases to fill.

Last edited:
I note Milcorem now has 17PR / 77mm projectiles listed:

https://www.milcorem.fr/obus-de-76-à-89mm/

But not actually for sale, so possibly a work in progress. (Not sure about the shape of the AP-T) I would be tempted by a APCBC-T if it was accurate as I don’t suppose I shall ever get a real one and I have an empty 77mm case to fill.

For anyone interested in replica projectiles:
I am in the US and make projectiles for my own collection. I turn the bodies of steel on a machine lathe, and add accurate rotating bands. I have an artillery engraving machine which I can use to add the appropriate engraving to the projectiles and fuses. I thread the projectiles with the original thread pitch so that a real fuse can be added, but I can also machine those too, usually aluminum with brass plugs, etc.
I can provide roll stamps up to 1/4” character height, but I buy stencils from questmasters for larger fonts that are to be painted on. I have original machinist/manufacture prints from Aberdeen for almost everything from WWI- Vietnam, and have produced replicas up to 75mm.
As of yet I can not replicate pre-engraved bands (as in recoilless)
-Steve

They are a few thousandths undersize in ID, oversized OD, pressed on with a 25 ton press, then go back on the lathe to be machined to their proper profile.

I note Milcorem now has 17PR / 77mm projectiles listed:

https://www.milcorem.fr/obus-de-76-à-89mm/

But not actually for sale, so possibly a work in progress. (Not sure about the shape of the AP-T) I would be tempted by a APCBC-T if it was accurate as I don’t suppose I shall ever get a real one and I have an empty 77mm case to fill.

There's a real 77mm APC on classifieds if that's any use.
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1829&title=17-pounder-apc-t-ww2inert&cat=5

My local tank museum - Museum of the American GI - requested that I produce enough 37mm projectiles (between 50-100) to fill the ammo racks of an American M3 Lee tank. They have enough cases. So, it looks like I am in the reproduction projectile business now. I have the M74 AP mold, and I am working on the M63 HE. I will also do an M51 AP.

Attachments

• 37mm M74 resin.jpg
    37mm M74 resin.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 37mm M74 resin projectiles.jpg
    37mm M74 resin projectiles.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Those look great Steve! Looks like now you've mastered resin in addition to metal.
I know you have some unobtainium in your collection (French/Polish 75 AP, Jap 75AP...).
Have you given any thought to cost/benefit on doing resin of some of those?

Thank you, Jeff. The silicone mold resin is the expensive part of this. Each 37mm projectile mold has about $50 of resin that goes into making it. It works well for 37mm, but it might be to "squishy" for a 75mm - will deform under weight of polyurethane casting resin for the projectile. The larger molds will cost at least $100 or more for the silicone mold resin. I am not sure I could sell more than a few of the more exotic projectiles - might not be worth it.

Here they are all painted and stamped. I have made 90 total so far. Stamping these is much more difficult than the originals due to their light weight of only 5 ounces. It was so much trouble, I had to turn my lathe into a stamping machine. The projectile free spins on a ball bearing roller from a mail sorting machine that I have been keeping for 20 years - just looking for the right application.

Attachments

• Resin 37mm Projectiles.jpg
    Resin 37mm Projectiles.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Projectile Stamping Machine.jpg
    Projectile Stamping Machine.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 47
Firstly, a huge THANK YOU to Steve for a package I received today. Added some fine resin replicas to the stash. The amazing thing is the details cast into the driving bands. Here are examples of the original castings.
resin 2.jpg resin 1.jpg

Also, a grande gracias for the flare. Will have to do some research on that one.

Rick

I successfully cast some US M72 75mm AP projectiles this weekend. The mold has $200 worth of silicone resin in it - ten pounds of material. Each projectile has almost 3 pounds or $20 worth of resin in it. It is also extremely difficult to remove these from a one piece mold.

Attachments

• Resin M72 75mm AP.jpg
    Resin M72 75mm AP.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 62