What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size of Clam mines

Ivashkin

Premium Member
Dear friends,
I know, that discussion about Clam mines was few times, but I have few questions, what appeared during my work on handbook aboout Red Army landmines and demolition equipment (one part - foreign mines in Red Army):
1. Is it correct classification (wrote one of BOCN members):
- MD1 Clam Mark I (Metal) - Tin/Zinc shallow body with two floating magnets.
- MDI Clam Mark I (Plastic) - Bakerlite shallow body, with fixed magnets, also sometimes called a Mk II.
- MDI Clam Mark II - Deeper Bakerlite body with floating magnets.
- Clam Mk III - Deeper Bakerlite body with floating magnets. For general Army issue.
2. Is first is correct, them what is the dimencions of all Clam versions?
3. What is the differences between different modifications? Number of magnets? Please, tell me number of magnets in Clam modifications.
Thanks for help!

I know how looks like Clam Mk I (Tin body) and Clam Mk III and so here Clam Mk II, but didn`t understend difference between them.

Dear friends,
I know, that discussion about Clam mines was few times, but I have few questions, what appeared during my work on handbook aboout Red Army landmines and demolition equipment (one part - foreign mines in Red Army):
1. Is it correct classification (wrote one of BOCN members):
- MD1 Clam Mark I (Metal) - Tin/Zinc shallow body with two floating magnets.
- MDI Clam Mark I (Plastic) - Bakerlite shallow body, with fixed magnets, also sometimes called a Mk II.
- MDI Clam Mark II - Deeper Bakerlite body with floating magnets.
- Clam Mk III - Deeper Bakerlite body with floating magnets. For general Army issue.
2. Is first is correct, them what is the dimencions of all Clam versions?
3. What is the differences between different modifications? Number of magnets? Please, tell me number of magnets in Clam modifications.
Thanks for help!

The types listed above are the MD1 range, there were a couple of magnetic chages called clams devised by the SOE technicians at Stations IX & XII, and some US Clams got into British service it is believed.

MD1 (actually still called MIR(c) at this point) devised the Clam with a view to making it in Bakelite. The quantity they intended to make did not warrant the cost of the tooling to set up the moulding etc., so they had non-ferrous metal shells manufactured. This, when assembled with magnets, a base plate etc., became the Clam. The small magnet charge was a popular 'line' and orders for large quantities quickly justified the switch to Bakelite bodies. Internally, within MD1, the two types of clam were just referred to as Clam and Clam, Plastic. The plastic, 1941 design, used fixed horse-shoe magnets and was about 1 and 3/16ths deep.
A second version of the plastic clam was devised in 1942 reverting to the use of floating magnets as used in the original metal clam, it was slightly deeper at around 1 and 9/16ths. MD1 referred to this as the Mark II and the earlier ones became Clam Mark I (Metal) and Clam Mark I (Plastic).

I will try to locate a couple of drawings and continue this later in the week.

I will try to locate a couple of drawings and continue this later in the week.

Thanks! Very interesting to see your pictures.
A bit difficult to understend, what exactly sent to USSR.Because so a lot of mines Clam.

A second version of the plastic clam was devised in 1942 reverting to the use of floating magnets as used in the original metal clam, it was slightly deeper at around 1 and 9/16ths. MD1 referred to this as the Mark II and the earlier ones became Clam Mark I (Metal) and Clam Mark I (Plastic). It is understood that when the MD1 Mark II Clam was taken up as a Service store the cataloguing authority, aware of the two pre-existing types, allocated the nomenclature Bombs, Clam Mark III. The two early patterns did not enter service with Regular forces, they were designed for use of saboteurs etc., and were issued to Auxiliary Units, Independent Companies (Commandos) and SOE. The attached drawings are from the MD1 drawing office. The Armament Design Department redrew the Mark III design but I cannot find the drawing [DD(L)17084].

According to the MD1 War Diary 50,000 Clams were supplied to the Russians in April 1942. There may have been other shipments. I do not know which patterns were supplied, perhaps EOD finds will be informative on this matter. The Mark III is a candidate since it had been designed by April 1942 and of course the Russian copy of the clam (brown Bakelite) is substantially the Mark III design.

View attachment Clamsx3.pdf

Thank you for this thread Ivashkin.

I am interested in a certain mine I first saw in the movie "Patriot Games" the shape is different and having searched I came up with only a few images and names. "Soviet type 158 limpet" and "EPR 25" is there any more information on these?

Hi Demetrius

Can you post what pictures you have of these items to give us some more ideas as to what they look like? That would make finding more information on them somewhat easier.

Cheers

Switch

Can you post what pictures you have of these items to give us some more ideas as to what they look like? That would make finding more information on them somewhat easier.
Or even better, a screen shot from the movie with the mine.

Found this. the mine is called MPM. Does anyone have a clear picture of this? it appears to have an MUV in the fuse well.

MPM limpet minecrop.png

Attachments

• MPM limpet mine.jpg
    MPM limpet mine.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi

Extract of "Инженерные боеприпасы. Руководство по материальной части и применению. Кн. 2" available online :

Image6.jpg

Info is also available in: "USAREUR Pam 30-60-1 Identification guide part 3 volume II" and in "Voorschrift nr 2050 DEEL 6" (both available online)
They disagree about measurements
The russian book says 770g, 150x75x50mm
Igniter VZD-3M

Regards,

S.