What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C 268 container for 3,7in?

fert

Premium Member
Hello,
please help me to ID this container. I think is used for the 3,7in anti aircraft, as marking shows. It seems the fuze used was the N.221. Am I correct?
thanks in advance

IMG_5129 rid.jpgIMG_5130 rid.jpgIMG_5131 rid.jpgIMG_5132 rid.jpgIMG_5133 rid.jpgIMG_5134 rid.jpgIMG_5135 rid.jpgIMG_5136 rid.jpgIMG_5137 rid.jpgIMG_5138 rid.jpg

best regards

My 1943 Stats list doesn't show a C268 container but for the 3.7" it lists the following types:

HE
C213
C235
C155

Shrapnel
C235

SAP
C235

Blank
C237
C213

Does a Fuze prefixed N not mean it is Naval?

The only time I have seen a tube like this used is for Propellent Charges

This is a Cylinder 268 Mk 1 and was made to contain 1 x Cart 3.7" AA Mks 1 - III Gun, Fuzed No 223.
Only the Mk I was produced. Mks II and III were planned but dropped when the C333 was introduced.
It was a double lidded waterproof temporary jungle package and had an internal rolled paper liner.
This particular cylinder has a white band indicating that it contained a Reduced Charge cartridge case.
The white band is marked RED in black letters indicating this.
The three little red XXXs is a warning to watch out inside because the cartridge may be reduced but the projectile is the same as a real HE.